Old 03-26-2013, 11:20 PM   #61
Bezerker75
3 Dart, LLC

portfolio
Michael Zurcher
Animator/owner
3 Dart, LLC
Exton, USA

Gone are the days when a new release brings excitement and amazement! What a joke! I shouldn't be surprised at all...but I have completely lost hope in all things Autodesk!

They spent more time and effort on re-branding than they did on any of their new releases...being a Max user for the past 16 years...this pitiful excuse for a release has finally convinced me it is time to move on!

Sad day!

Old 03-26-2013, 11:38 PM   #62
davius
Positive electron

portfolio
David Almeida
Part-time dreamer
Maceió, Brazil

Another small but VERY useful bug fix - MR now handles HDR lighting properly and produces nice shadows out of it!

http://mentalraytips.blogspot.se/20...-to-lately.html

Old 03-27-2013, 12:26 AM   #63
mynewcat
Feels the need for speed!

portfolio
Justin Dowling
Freelancer
JD3D CGI
Bristol, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by davius
Another small but VERY useful bug fix - MR now handles HDR lighting properly and produces nice shadows out of it!

http://mentalraytips.blogspot.se/20...-to-lately.html

I'd like to see some iRay improvements - handling bloody composite materials and such would be nice.

I'd like to be able to switch renderers and at least have iRay do SOMETHING rather than just return black.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:35 AM   #64
saycon2000
PRO

portfolio
Seifoo Max
Algeria

I have just looked in the What is New in MAXScript in 3ds Max 2014....sorry there is no new feature for mental ray 3.11 nor the improvement shown in the link http://mentalraytips.blogspot.se/20...-to-lately.html

i think it will be in the next sap or extension....

come on Zap !

Old 03-27-2013, 08:10 AM   #65
Massemannen
Know-it-All

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyM
This is not the case as far as I know. I have been working with new BB builds regularly during some of my testing work. I would say it is just that, a rumor.

Great! Thank you Kelly for clarifying that! Could you tell if there are new functions implemented or ifs more stable than its predecessors (thinking off 2012-2013)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatz
I think Shane commented last year that Backburner isn't in development as far as new features, but it is in development so far as it is compatible with the updated Autodesk products.

Copy that Oatz! Thanks!

Old 03-27-2013, 08:35 AM   #66
jedie
Expert
portfolio
jens d.
jojo, Germany

Help page is online: http://docs.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/16/...Help/index.html

The "What's New in Autodesk 3ds Max 2014" list doesn't contain any new, secret feature... So I hope 2014 is more stable and useful for production than all other releases...

MR changes:
Quote:
The mental ray renderer has a new Unified Sampling mode that is easy to control and renders much more quickly than the multi-pass sampling used in previous verions of 3ds Max.

New Skylight options let you accurately generate sky light from one or more environment maps (preferably high dynamic range images).

The String Options rollout lets you enter options as you would in a mental ray MI file.

If the mental ray renderer encounters a fatal error, 3ds Max continues to run, although to create a mental ray rendering again you need to restart 3ds Max.

iray changes:
Quote:
The iray renderer now supports a variety of maps it could not render in previous releases. These include Checker, Color Correction, Dent, Gradient, Gradient Ramp, Marble, Perlin Marble, Speckle, Substance, Tiles, Waves, Wood, and the mental ray Ocean shader.

New solver method options options let you turn on a sampler that improves the accuracy of indoor scenes, and a sampler that improves the quality of caustic lighting.

The Displacement settings have been moved to a rollout of their own.

When you use the Unlimited option, the Rendering Progress dialog now displays the number of iterations that have elapsed, and the progress bar shows an animated stripe rather than an absolute percentage.

EDIT: Oh, found the "Enhanced Menu" stuff. Turn max into cinema 4d?

Last edited by jedie : 03-27-2013 at 08:50 AM.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:20 AM   #67
garryclarke
Expert

portfolio
Garry Clarke
Horsham, United Kingdom

I wouldn't be quite so disparaging until you actualy get your hands on it. I'm going through the new help file and there's lots of little things in there that aren't mentioned as headline updates. Sure it's still a little light, let's hope everything works as it should (fingers crossed).

Looks like 2013 plug-ins work in 2014 so I'll probably switch over straight away rather than have to wait a further 6 months.

I just hope that some of the new features are further developed and not just forgotten about (didn't we have camera matching, if a bit clunky, in Max 3?)

And thank god you can turn the caddies off at last.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:26 AM   #68
musashidan
Bar Stool Enthusiast

portfolio
Daniel McGrath
Dublin, Ireland

"Selection Brackets is now off by default."

This is great news as my J key is defunct due to repeated bashing....

Overall, a luke warm release. There are some useful user requests implemented and a general attempt at a bit of a clean-up. New features are welcome but nothing to get elated about. My days of 'a- child- on- xmas- morning- inspired- excitement' have long passed when release day comes. (Zbrush now fills that void)

I really am quite shocked at this reponse from Adesk considering the seething frustration among loyal users over the last year. Talk of jumping ship and swimming to warmer 3D shores is all well and good and seems the only genuine protest users can offer; but why should we? I've been using Max since R4 and many, many here have been using it significantly longer. The love/hate relationship is the hardest of all. Ask the bloke who's been married for 40 years but grumbles to his mates in the pub every chance he gets.
Every year our expectations seem to get less and less after all the initial excitement of xbr some years back. The silence is what kills me. Users have so much invested in this piece of software, which is a vital toolset to literally put food on the table yet none of us really has a clue how(or when) this - XBR- will all pan out. Doom and gloom abounds and we are basically in the dark.

In the 'future of Max' presentation vid, Chris Vienneau says: "we're gonna be in the forums" Apart from a paragraph or two from Kelly every now and then it's silence. Fair enough Ken was quite active but is now obviously gone and we are no better off.

There's no doubt, for me, personally, I can't ever see myself abandoning Max. I just wish I could be a little more confident about it's future evolution and direction. NDA be damned, surely we're entitled to that, at least........

Old 03-27-2013, 09:28 AM   #69
musashidan
Bar Stool Enthusiast

portfolio
Daniel McGrath
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by garryclarke

And thank god you can turn the caddies off at last.

Although I have been using spacefrog's script to eradicate those nightmarish caddies this is most welcome indeed.(and long overdue)

Old 03-27-2013, 09:35 AM   #70
lo
the frequentest!
portfolio
Rotem Shiffman
Tel Aviv, Israel

Quote:
While 3ds Max is saving an auto backup file, it displays a message to that effect in the prompt line. If the scene is large and you don't want to take the time to save it at this point in time, you can stop the save by pressing the Esc key. (If the scene is not large, the prompt appears for only an instant.)

Best new feature by far, not that there is much competition.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:31 AM   #71
MasterZap
Strange but nice person

portfolio
Zap Andersson
Shader Wizard
Autodesk Inc.
Eskilstuna, Sweden

Send a message via ICQ to MasterZap
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by saycon2000
I have just looked in the What is New in MAXScript in 3ds Max 2014....sorry there is no new feature for mental ray 3.11 nor the improvement shown in the link http://mentalraytips.blogspot.se/20...-to-lately.html

i think it will be in the next sap or extension....

come on Zap !

If so, it's the documentation that is at fault. There is MaxScript exposure for both unified sampling and the IBL features.

What neither of these "lists" list is the 100 odd "small niggly things and bugs" that only our team fixed. Like for instance - "zoom about mouse" is now a) on by default and b) works correctly

Or the all-new Automatic gamma correction pipeline?

And yes - 2013 plugins work without modification.

I'll post something on my blog soon on the new stuff.

/Z

Old 03-27-2013, 01:40 PM   #72
ramissin
Veteran

portfolio
Richard Missin
Professional Drinker / Freelance Gynecologist
Leeds, GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterZap
What neither of these "lists" list is the 100 odd "small niggly things and bugs" that only our team fixed. Like for instance - "zoom about mouse" is now a) on by default and b) works correctly

Then post the list ? it seems (as usual) the only positive comments are coming from those with a vested interest, bug fixes and "making things work as they should" really shouldn't be a selling point for new software.
I feel like I'm at a firework display....the fuse has gone out, but no-one has gone back to light it.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:43 PM   #73
jedie
Expert
portfolio
jens d.
jojo, Germany

great comment on http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/maxs...-max-2014#47799 :
Quote:
ToKo

What about the User-voice requests.
Look at the top 3 Feature Requests: Quad chamfers, Refreshing layer manager...CAT Stretch Problems
some of these Requests are started in 2010! i realy think you shit on us

Old 03-27-2013, 02:20 PM   #74
Sasho90
Huh?

portfolio
Alexander Mitov
Blagoevgrad, Bulgaria

I really like the interface design in the "Manage Workspaces" menu. But does it only appear in this particular menu? Is there an option to change the interface style to this better and prettier looking IMHO one? Or we are stuck with the ala Windows 95 UI for another 10 years?

Old 03-27-2013, 03:10 PM   #75
jfincher
Visualization Artist
portfolio
Joshua Fincher
Sr. Store Designer
Pittsburgh, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterZap
If so, it's the documentation that is at fault. There is MaxScript exposure for both unified sampling and the IBL features.

Or the all-new Automatic gamma correction pipeline?

And yes - 2013 plugins work without modification.

I'll post something on my blog soon on the new stuff.

/Z

Could we get a complete list of all fixes, updates, and new features in one doc?

It would be incredibly helpful to have that information so folks don't continue to go on just assuming certain things weren't fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramissin
it seems (as usual) the only positive comments are coming from those with a vested interest, bug fixes and "making things work as they should" really shouldn't be a selling point for new software.

A selling point, no...but I'd still like to know.

Last edited by jfincher : 03-27-2013 at 03:13 PM.

Thread Closed share thread