Autodesk "what's new in 2014" page is up

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by Sidow: "10-30 minutes research?" Why? It would be a complete waste of time. You think the research you do is accurate? Do you know why they SUDDENLY dropped reactor? (they had years to develop their own) of course you don't. Only a few people at Autodesk know the real reason and its not like such information is going to be at our disposal. Which is why it can be fun to create hypothetical scenarios, because they might actually be true!

Don't feed the fanboy he does go on a bit.

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by Sidow: Yes! that's right, my post was very serious boys and girls. So I hope you marked my words and marked them well!

"10-30 minutes research?" Why? It would be a complete waste of time. You think the research you do is accurate? Do you know why they SUDDENLY dropped reactor? (they had years to develop their own) of course you don't. Only a few people at Autodesk know the real reason and its not like such information is going to be at our disposal. Which is why it can be fun to create hypothetical scenarios, because they might actually be true!

It's still unneccesarily disparaging to a very specific person who we can all be fairly sure had nothing to do with it. The person you quoted wasn't talking about Autodesk generally, were they?

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by Sidow: Only a few people at Autodesk know the real reason and its not like such information is going to be at our disposal. Which is why it can be fun to create hypothetical scenarios, because they might actually be true!

If you actually had spend a few minuted doing some research you could have found this:

Originally Posted by kenpimentel: (04-09-2011)
"It wasn't an easy decision, but we did a bunch of research of the user data and it just didn't make sense. It wasn't going to go anywhere fast and we wanted to work with Nvidia on doing more with PhysX. Hopefully, you'll see the results of our joint research over time. For example, Nvidia is already publicly showing GPU accelerated rigid bodies. That's something that is very interesting.

I think in this case, we're taking the long view. With Reactor, the licensing setup wasn't ideal and didn't lend itself to ongoing development. We think we've fixed those problems. In fact, a whole bunch of Nvidia PhysX experts are showing up in Montreal next week to do some planning. That never happened with Havok.

Again, this is part of XBR and while it isn't as complete as what we had in Reactor, the promise of PhysX is the ability to unify a few areas of max that are currently isolated."

03 March 2013

Anyway....

On the Buy 3DS Max page:
Quote: Note: Autodesk® 3ds Max® 2014 software will be available soon, but you can buy 3ds Max 2013 now.

So what happens if someone wants the new 2014 but decides to buy 2013 instead as suggested? Is he/she entitled to a free upgrade to 2014 when released? Or are they on the hook for the added upgrade price?

Listen: Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

03 March 2013
What is a bit frustrating, is that they fired people to cut the headcount in the dev team and now Chris tells us that they are hiring.... that shows how feeble minded management decisions can be.
And what i am missing is a bigger step in XBR... i am afraid XBR is dead.

Where are soft body dynamics, fluids, stereoscopic cameras, preparation for 4K, node based scene management, an overhaul of the visibility system.
You still need a lot of plugins to make 3dsmax fully "video fx" capable.
Vray ist almost industry standard in Viz and automotive industry.. Which makes the package at least 1 grand more expensive.

But what is most frightening is, that 3dsmax still only runs on Windows. And Windows 8 (or Blue) on a 30" screen is a (............................) feel free to enter any swearing word you want.
They should start developing at least a linux version just right now!

Well i wait with my final judgement till i have 2014 installed.

03 March 2013
Should have devved a Linux version ten years ago...

MY HMC

03 March 2013
Quote: If you actually had spend a few minuted doing some research you could have found this:

In your own words tell me what the Post by kenpimentel dated (04-09-2011) says.

Quote: It wasn't an easy decision

COMBINED WITH

Quote: but we did a bunch of research of the user data and it just didn't make sense

If no one used reactor, then it was an easy decision.

If no one used reactor why did they wait so long before they dropped it?

If no one used reactor why did they drop it and then immediately start talking about the partnership with Nvidia to create PhysX etc which is "Very interesting". Apparently those guys are going to meet up and play some golf...I mean do some planning.

and despite you doing the "Research" and finding something that looks as if a Public relations manager has had a go at (They're never going to tell you the real story and hopefully when put in your own words its only about three lines long without the PR BS). You haven't answered why it was dropped overnight and why the MassFX was so simplistic.

(you know in competitions where they say it wasn't easy but....That little white lie?)

__________________________________________________ _______________________

Quote: It's still unneccesarily disparaging to a very specific person

You're absolutely right. I meant it as more of a tounge in cheek question with regard to whom I quoted. I am not accusing any one person. Its just that Autodesk is a massive company that is only interested in profits. What happens if Autodesk finishes all of its products? It goes bust. Therefore they need to drag everything out for as long as possible. They could have released 2014 features in 2013 and maybe even 2012. The programmers hired aren't responsible for the decisions made and are just doing what they are told.

03 March 2013
Quote: What is a bit frustrating, is that they fired people to cut the headcount in the dev team and now Chris tells us that they are hiring....

That's standard practice in most massive companies. Fire the expensive people that have been there from day one and replace them with recent graduates that are cheap and don't know what is going on in the larger sense.

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by Sidow: "Doesn't matter! by the time they realise its a piece of * they will have already bought it! Cash is King!"

There was a lot of reasons the decision was made around Reactor and it was not taken lightly or done rash. Also, I do not know anyone at Autodesk with this kind of attitude. Everyone here has a strong passion for 3ds Max and we all want it to be a great tool.
M&E Division Beta Administrator
Autodesk, Inc

03 March 2013
common guys, lets be honnest, it 'seems' to be an 'ok' realease afterall... if it works as advertised naturally.

just to quote myself (from the other 2014 thread)

Originally Posted by CHRiTTeR: vector map support is kinda nice also, been asking this for years.
Being able to use the .pdf format to do swapping between vector images is a great addition to this and the kind of thinking we need!! There is still hope after all!

The video about particles tells me its not just included box#3... they mention mparticles and massFX simulations allot. So does this mean, particles work togetter with the massFX simulations? That would be great!

For populate i saw the option to use a "custom skin" in the video!

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by jedie: vote: http://3dsmaxfeedback.autodesk.com/...s-max-for-linux
Does it matter? They'll just say it's too hard or costly and ignore it any way.

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by DanHibiki: Does it matter? They'll just say it's too hard or costly and ignore it any way.

Normally i would agree with the fact they dont want to put resources into that.

But seeing the horrible direction the windows os is going i have changed my mind, linux support sounds more attractive than ever now.

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by DanHibiki: Does it matter? They'll just say it's too hard or costly and ignore it any way.

Yes it does matter, if there is enough interest and money to be made anything can happen. That is how you run a business, on the other hand if you are running a charity or a non-profit you can do whatever the hell you like as long as you have funding.

Porting to another OS is not cheap, don't you think they're busy enough trying to keep us happy with single OS support? In all honesty screw more OS support I just want shit to work in windows, that isn't going to happen if you split a dev team up even more cause more OS related problems, ect.

03 March 2013
is plugin compatibility broken in 2014?

Thread Closed share thread