portfolio
Dan Grover
Technical Director
River Film
London, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to DanGrover
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byteman3D
Today low priority helps but at some certain operations that I can't figure out, it may really force you to get a cup of tea.

Now I'm getting tempted to drop VRay and return to the MR fold! Killer feature, I hope VRay integrate it...

Old 03-26-2013, 07:11 PM   #17
CHRiTTeR
On the run!

Chris
Graphic designer extraordinaire
Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHibiki
System priority is a buggy way to do this, just go to the task manager and set Max's CPU affinity to use all but one core of your processor.

Then you can brows the web or what have you while max renders.

i dont agree. Its not buggy at all (doesnt crash anything) and its more efficient than losing an entire core

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGrover
Now I'm getting tempted to drop VRay and return to the MR fold! Killer feature, I hope VRay integrate it...

Why? this works perfectly with vray aswell. Even better in my experience.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:24 AM   #18
Caypiranha
Frequenter

K P
GE

Quote:
The whole idea is that you want to be doing something else while rendering. That means you want to use some CPU power on other things, like After Effects or Photoshop or browsing the web and losing one of your eight cores is reasonable in that respect.

Ultimately it's no different then putting it on a lower priority, just more stable and effective... unless you have a low core count like an i3.

Quote:
nor should they.

why would I want my render farm rendering slower?

Unfortunatly you are a bit misunderstanding the meaning of changing the priority.

Let me say it in this way: You have Ten fingers. You simply tell your Brain that it has not go for such a strong focus on doing one thing your "pottery" for egsample. You tell him, that when you are thirsty or hungry - go for it! But all of these tasks are as done as fast as usual - just the Order, e.g. the "order of allowness" is just changed. (sorry my bad english =) This means when nothing different is anyway to do, even when the "do your Pottery" Task is set to the lowest Priority, your Fingers will do this one thing as fast as it can - not slower and not faster. Cpu´s like i3, i5, i7 .. it doesnt matter - they will everytime do what the have been made for. Not faster and not slower.

BUT WHEN YOU: Cut off one of your fingers, and make sure that this one is moving your courser, changing your windows etc... etc... or just remember the Pottery example - will you be able to do this then in the same Time? ... One finger less?

Changing the Priority will never harm the renderperformance in itself, as far as you leave the machine alone. ANd btw: moving the mouse or things like that - your CPU will switch so damned fast between task - you will never miss something.

Maybe it helped a bit to explain the feature: "Changing the Priority" ..

regards!
Kay

Old 03-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #19
MasterZap
Strange but nice person

portfolio
Zap Andersson
Shader Wizard
Autodesk Inc.
Eskilstuna, Sweden

Send a message via ICQ to MasterZap
Exclamation

In max 2014, the mental ray threads come out-of-the-box with "Below Normal" priority for a foreground max, and even one notch lower for backburner threads. This is all settable (from an .ini file) of course.

/Z

Old 03-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #20
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread