I wonder if MRay hangs your mouse, too.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #1
I wonder if MRay hangs your mouse, too.

I use an i7 3930 K machine and I thought this would be a fast responsive computer, but the word "responsive" looses its meaning once Mental Ray starts rendering and I can't even move the mouse.

I always try to remember reducing the priority of the max executable before render, otherwise it takes a lot of time and patience trying to do it once its started. Really long time. I cant even cancel the thing if necessary. Iray is even worse but it releases you when primary graphics card is relased from iray's use.

I'm definitely sure it was not like this with mental ray so long ago. Can't say which version.
I presume there's no way to make it more responsive, but I just wanted to give a shot. May be one of you know a way to make the priority adjustment lower by default or know some setting that doesn't hang the mouse.

I appreciate that

Old 03 March 2013   #2
you machine can be as fast as possible: MR will ever take all it gets!
Developers do not see any necessity to change this. They dont have this problem... hrhr.
One of the big "never Understandings" in Software developement (like Autodesk do a lot)

Old 03 March 2013   #3
I just put a script that runs automatically on 3dsmax startup

sysInfo.MAXPriority = #low

Old 03 March 2013   #4
Wow! This is great. Thanks.

Old 03 March 2013   #5
System priority is a buggy way to do this, just go to the task manager and set Max's CPU affinity to use all but one core of your processor.

Then you can brows the web or what have you while max renders.

Old 03 March 2013   #6
Originally Posted by Caypiranha: you machine can be as fast as possible: MR will ever take all it gets!
Developers do not see any necessity to change this. They dont have this problem... hrhr.
One of the big "never Understandings" in Software developement (like Autodesk do a lot)
nor should they.

why would I want my render farm rendering slower?

Old 03 March 2013   #7
Originally Posted by DanHibiki: System priority is a buggy way to do this, just go to the task manager and set Max's CPU affinity to use all but one core of your processor.

Then you can brows the web or what have you while max renders.

I disagree, what you suggest will definitely make your rendering slower. Using priority will not, provided nothing else hammers the cpu.

Old 03 March 2013   #8
Originally Posted by lo: I disagree, what you suggest will definitely make your rendering slower. Using priority will not, provided nothing else hammers the cpu.

The whole idea is that you want to be doing something else while rendering. That means you want to use some CPU power on other things, like After Effects or Photoshop or browsing the web and losing one of your eight cores is reasonable in that respect.

Ultimately it's no different then putting it on a lower priority, just more stable and effective... unless you have a low core count like an i3.

Last edited by DanHibiki : 03 March 2013 at 07:48 PM.

Old 03 March 2013   #9
Originally Posted by DanHibiki: The whole idea is that you want to be doing something else while rendering. That means you want to use some CPU power on other things and losing one of your eight cores is reasonable.

Ultimately it's no different then putting it on a lower priority, just more stable and effective... unless you have a low core count like an i3.

Again, I must disagree. It is different in the sense that you will always lose that one core you disabled. Even on an 8 core machine, your renders will be 13% slower, while using priority method you will get 100% cpu usage if possible.

Also, what do you mean by more stable? What stability issues have you encountered?

Old 03 March 2013   #10
The main problem with the priority setting and MR is, that somehow the MentalRay bridge in Max causes a slowdown of the whole input chain (mouse, keyboard, window movement etc..) even when on the lowest priority. This shows some really bad/ugly internal programming i guess, but that does'nt help... I guess it pipes everything through memory mapped files or something similar which brings the whole system down on driver/kernel level. Never have seen any other software that is able to that on lowest priority level...

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

Old 03 March 2013   #11
I also think setting affinity is not preferable, because it's just like turning off some of the engines of the airplane.Turn off one of your 4 cores and you get %25 percent decrease in performance.

Here I'm actually complaining a bout the good old mouse, which shouldn't be affected by software. I've never seen such a stupid event in amy life. This is a mouse, the major input system. It has to have some kind of uninterruptable characteristics.

Old 03 March 2013   #12
Originally Posted by Byteman3D: I also think setting affinity is not preferable, because it's just like turning off some of the engines of the airplane.Turn off one of your 4 cores and you get %25 percent decrease in performance.

Here I'm actually complaining a bout the good old mouse, which shouldn't be affected by software. I've never seen such a stupid event in amy life. This is a mouse, the major input system. It has to have some kind of uninterruptable characteristics.

As Joseph said, this is an example of very poor development. It's hard to believe it's remained this way for years.

Old 03 March 2013   #13
I also agree with Josef. Since switching to Vray I havn't encountered this at all.(I'm also on a 3930k)
The scene translation process in MR is a pain.

Old 03 March 2013   #14
By the way I just want to share something, I actually stated above:

Iray is just similar, especially stupid when using it in Activeshade??!! mode; but when I was using 2GPU's and tell it not to use the master GPU (that Windows uses) it was running fluently no single lag, on single+CPU render. I started to wonder if mental ray is also using the GPU for some calculations. I remember hearing something like mental ray was going to use GPU.

Now even mental ray used to run responsive, with max at low priority, in older versions. (Before NVidia times I suppose) Today low priority helps but at some certain operations that I can't figure out, it may really force you to get a cup of tea.

It not only hangs the mouse if you look more careful, but hangs the refreshing of rendering buckets. You must have seen this before; at some certain point buckets freeze and wait for the entire frame to finish. On a frame that takes 5 minutes to render, if this happens in the middle, with 6 cores you expect some buckets to reveal in at least 10 seconds, but nthing happens for 2-3 minutes. Just at the end all buckets suddenly reveal then render+mouse etc. move on.

Old 03 March 2013   #15
there is just simple thing go to task mansger go to processes tab the go to 3ds max process right click on it then setpriority to low that should help u with all problems u can use browser like crome while 3ds max renders
itsmejab@gmail.com
http://jabranbaig.wordpress.com/

Thread Closed share thread