Login register
reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  
Old 03-21-2013, 01:08 PM   #1
Valerie Henry
3D Medical Illustrator
NCA Medical Simulation Center
Silver Spring, USA
Deleting "Static Channels" like in Maya

I am looking for an automated way to delete "static channels" like you can in Maya. In Maya you can delete keys with a zero change (what they call static channels) either specifically for a selected mesh or "all by type" for the whole scene.

I want to be able to automate a similar process in Max. Does anyone know if this process already exists in Max's interface? I can't seem to find anything about it from my online searches.

I know you can delete sets of keys using the curve editor, but that is rather tedious if you wanted to do it for everything in the scene.

Mainly, I'd like to create a script to run on a scene that checks for keys with no change between them and then deletes them. I can't seem to find an already built in way to do it. So, I figured I'd look to see if someone has scripted a process similar to this.

This is to account for keys set accidentally or when, say, you hit the "set keys" button and it sets a key for X, Y, and Z but there might only have been a change in the Z axis, thus resulting in three curves where you only need one. These extra keys can add unnecessary data to an animation.

Has anyone come across a script similar to this? Or has anyone seen this question posted before? I searched this and other forums/blogs for an answer and haven't come up with anything yet. Any insights are greatly appreciated!
Old 03-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #2
Well there's key reduction in the curve editor. But it only works on one track at a time and it's VERY slow. I had it take all weekend to do a scene with 800 physics baked objects.

Keys>reduce keys.

I'm not aware of a built in tools to strip redundant keys. But there's probably one on

And if there isn't and you do write one, I'd be keen to see it too.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #3
Valerie Henry
3D Medical Illustrator
NCA Medical Simulation Center
Silver Spring, USA
I too know how long the Reduce Keys can take! I have never had to wait all weekend, though! Dynamics will do that to you.

Thanks for reminding me about that function - it might clue me in on what kind of command to script if it comes to that.

I will certainly share whatever info I find since I think this function could be hugely helpful! I'll also share any script I come across (or write myself).

I'll search that site - thanks for the link!
Old 03-22-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
R&D/Technical Director
Paul Neale
PEN Productions
Easy script top write. Have you looked on
Paul Neale
Old 02-25-2014, 11:59 AM   #5
Olivier Ladeuix
Character animator
EA Brightlight
United Kingdom
have you found a script for that in the end?

I had a quick look on Scriptspot using the "keys" then "reduce" keywords but couldn't find anything.

The reason I am interested is because I am currently baking my animation using the FBX exporter before importing into Unity and I would like to reduce the amount of keys that get baked. Some of them being static, I would like to delete them automatically.

@Paul I am not sure what you meant by "Easy script top write". There is a misspelling going on here right?

Last edited by oliveUK : 02-25-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:49 AM   #6
Mahmoud Elashry
3d Generalist
Send a message via MSN to mhdmhd
I am trying to delete all static keys or even non curve changing keys with no luck
If there is a script or a code snippet that help , I would be grateful for it .
reply share thread