Maya vs Max - Advice Needed

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03 March 2013   #16
I was looking for serious answers only from actual users. Some posts now, not mentioning names, has gone WAY off and turned into debates instead of FACTS. For those suggesting I use something else, like Blender or Modo, you obviously didn't read my initial post. Either Maya or Max is a MUST for me to start getting into for my classes, not interested in anything else due to this.

Thanks to those that posted detailed and not just generic replies that were on topic. Things are now getting confusing and I will leave it with what I got and see if I can try both. I think there is a $300 fee now for 90 day use on the Autodesk website. Better than full price to try so I do that and see what's best for the class work.
__________________
Specs: Custom watercooled Workstation, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, 2 x 3.10 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon 2687w, 64GB 1833 MHz DDR3 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce Titan.
 
Old 03 March 2013   #17
In your situation I would go for modo, best price for what you get and active development going on.
__________________
Follow me on Twitter
 
Old 03 March 2013   #18
If you are enrolled in classes, you can get the student license of Max or Maya or both for 3 years for FREE from Autodesk. The 90 day license is a freelancer license, no sense in buying that if you aren't going to be making any money.
__________________
www.psvisuals.com - 3D Visualization and Content Creation
 
Old 03 March 2013   #19
Before you listen to the long quote below note that he makes many false statements and obviously doesn't know how to use Max. Case and point, don't use the mirror tool when mirroring bones, use the bone mirror tool. Having options for modeling appears to be a problem for him. Personally haven't more tools so I can choose which I want to use it far better then Maya where there are few options. I could go on.

I could write the same sort of biased comparison but what you need to do is try them both.


Originally Posted by gotanidea: I was Maya user, now I use 3ds Max. Do not waste your time with 3ds Max, unless you are forced to, like me. Both softwares have their own flaws, but I think 3ds Max has a lot of redundant tools, and it is incomplete software.

Here is my opinion of 3ds Max (2013):

- Size : The largest of all 3d animation sofwares (eg Maya, XSI, Houdini, etc). Long start up time.
- Polygon modelling : Excellent polygon modelling tools. You will be able to do polygon modelling very fast. But I can do the same with Maya 2013 (in Maya 2014 there will be NEX (excellent polygon modelling plugin that was acquired by Autodesk). Also there are redundant tools like Extrude, Inset and Bevel face. They do the same thing. In Maya, there is only 1 tool, which is Extrude face.
- NURBS modelling : Cannot rebuild NURBS curve properly like Maya. Does not have Maya NURBS tool like Boundary and Birail. In essence you cannot create a car with this method (see how easy it is on http://www.digitaltutors.com/11/training.php?pid=2959). You can only use polygon modelling method to create something like it.
- Texturing : Excellent UV mapping tools. You can also do fast UV mapping in Maya, as long as you know the tools.
- Animation : The Link Constraint does not have Keep Initial Offset feature. This makes animation troublesome (you will need it to animate with props). Also the Motion Mixer cannot remember animation clips (after reopening the file, the clips in the mixer are gone). Imagine if you have hundreds of clips there.
- Rigging : Mirroring bones is very troublesome. After mirroring, you have to fix the local rotation axes, reset stretch, then turn the bone width and height to negative values. Watch the following official Autodesk video tutorials to see what I am talking about (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...4CifPXC5TBg2vUd). In Maya, we do not need to fix the local rotation axes after mirroring bone.
There are easy auto rig systems like Biped and CAT. If we try to resize the CAT rig, the result will be strange. It is difficult to tweak them.
- Skinning : Watch how easy and precise it is to skin in Maya (http://eat3d.com/facialrig). The cool thing in 3ds Max is Max Skin Weight tool, which also available in Maya.
- Fluid simulation : It does not have. Even Blender, a free software, has this.
- Particle simulation : There is Particle Flow, but it cannot create realistic water like Maya's nParticle, RealFlow, Naiad or Houdini. Maya has a free plugin that makes it more procedural (http://www.soup-dev.com). But in 3ds Max 2014, there will be mParticle.

There are more, but I am too tired to mention them now.

The reason why 3ds Max is used as visual effects software is because it has many plugins (FumeFX, Krakatoa, VRay, Thinking Particles, etc). Most of those plugins have been ported to Maya now. So if you buy 3ds Max, you also need to buy a lot of plugins.

I suggest you learn Maya until you understand 3D, then move to Houdini, which in my opinion has better core than Maya. It is difficult to understand, but the procedural and visual effects workflow will be worth it in the end. If you learn 3D, you will want to move to advanced level.
__________________
Paul Neale
http://paulneale.com
 
Old 03 March 2013   #20
Don't the mods normally kill these threads off?

It's not as if either Max or Maya is so tragically flawed or unusable that the mere fact Autodesk is selling them is a scandal.

In all honesty mate, if all you're looking to do is play with either for a hobby you're going to be pirating them, you're not shelling out 3 or 4 grand... so why not download the demos, see what one you like, or do us all a favour and read any of the numerous other threads on this issue?
__________________
www.jd3d.co.uk - I'm available for freelance work.
 
Old 03 March 2013   #21
Originally Posted by Kabab: Just get Modo it's heaps cheaper and with 701 it's ahead of max and maya in nearly every department..


People say stuff like that, but each time I see a Modo update it's filled with simple things that Max and Maya have had for years. It could eventually be a replacement, but I don't think that's the case yet. I hope it does though.
__________________
The Z-Axis
 
Old 03 March 2013   #22
Hey there,

I had to hit the ground running to learn Maya because a local art college wanted me to teach animation, and they only used Maya. I'll say that I really gave Maya a shot, but I found it a little hard to learn. Maybe it was just because Ive known max for 10 years and more. I don't know.

I like max plug-in and script scene. So many helpful and free scripts out there. And the max community. Top notch. I'd say, if you're going to be a one man show, learn max. Maya's architecture (by that I mean the way the program is designed) seems to be rather larger, or intended for larger, more complex pipeline. May be wrong about that. Thats' just the feeling I got from sitting down with it for 4 months.

Honestly thoug, both programs will do mostly the same, exact thing -- some advantages to one, some advantages to the other, of course. I think max is probably a little friendlier to the lone wolf. And if you're not doing animation, then I'd say max again.

I'm hesitant about max's progress as of the the 2013 release. But my gut feeling is that cool things are coming. I see max as very, old and solid personality. Which I'm used to and like.

Sorry, not much help, but just a personal opinion.

Good luck,
Mahlon
 
Old 03 March 2013   #23
Originally Posted by Kabab: Just get Modo it's heaps cheaper and with 701 it's ahead of max and maya in nearly every department..


Wow.. really?
 
Old 03 March 2013   #24
Depends what you wanna do i would say.

I grew up with Max and loved it. But over the years(since Autodesk bought both packages to be exact), Max lost a lot of its charme. To much new fancy shmancy stuff instead of demanded bug fixing (like Curve Editor speed, Reaction Manager ect.).

But the most important reason for me is a bigger client base with Maya, at least where i come from.
 
Old 03 March 2013   #25
Thought Maya had a smaller client base last time I looked. But that's a general view. This is for personal use, so it's solely down to what would be easier to get on with. For me that's 3dsmax.
__________________
*(GOZER)-During the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrex Supplicants, it chose the form of a giant SLOAR...


MY HMC
 
Old 03 March 2013   #26
i say forget them both and learn houdini or modo

Last edited by Stellios : 03 March 2013 at 06:39 PM.
 
Old 03 March 2013   #27
For a hobbyist who does mainly environment images?
__________________
*(GOZER)-During the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrex Supplicants, it chose the form of a giant SLOAR...


MY HMC
 
Old 03 March 2013   #28
Originally Posted by Sidow: Some Maya users also have a chip on their shoulder, or an inferiority complex. If you say something negative about max, in a constructive manner, the responses won't be unexpected. If you say something negative about Maya, some users will start shouting at you as though you raped their daughter or something. Both software packages have good and bad points which is why they both still exist. However, there seem to be Maya fan-boys that aren't ruled buy their head. A bit like Mac users.



by far more of the max vs maya threads pop up in the max section. I would definitely say you have in completely switched around.
 
Old 03 March 2013   #29
Originally Posted by Airflow: For a hobbyist who does mainly environment images?


the procedural workflow in houdini makes it great for all types of environment work. And i simply dont beleive autodesk prods have a bright future. so yah.
 
Old 03 March 2013   #30
Originally Posted by sidvici: Depends what you wanna do i would say.

I grew up with Max and loved it. But over the years(since Autodesk bought both packages to be exact), Max lost a lot of its charme. To much new fancy shmancy stuff instead of demanded bug fixing (like Curve Editor speed, Reaction Manager ect.).

But the most important reason for me is a bigger client base with Maya, at least where i come from.


Max was always an Autodesk product, and it's user base is many times larger than Maya's.
 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.