How do I pull multiple polygon faces towards the center of an object?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #1
Question How do I pull multiple polygon faces towards the center of an object?

I'm wanting to make a simple missile for my first project but I've hit a snag. I cannot remember how to pull multiple faces/polygons in towards the center of an object.

I'm wanting to make some fins and already I hit a snag to where I think I forgot what I was taught to do this. I want to have them rest along the body of the cylinder (and if there's a way to get them to align perfectly with the body, would someone please tell me?).

To be honest, I was wanting to make actual triangular fins but I honestly don't know if that's possible. I'm pretty sure it is with this software but I'm so new, I'm flying blind still. I appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg missile screenshot.jpg (79.4 KB, 46 views)

Old 03 March 2013   #2
Select the polygons and extrude them to a negative value.

To make your fins more triangular, select the vertex on the corner point and move it closer to the center of the object.

Old 03 March 2013   #3
The simplest way would be to scale them in to the centre of the selection. That wouldn't snap them perfectly, but it might be the easiest way to do it as you're new.

There's a little drop down next to the bit that says view in the main tool bar. One of the options there is centre of selection. That changes for move, rotate and scale, so make sure you're in scale mode first.

Or if you wanted to do it accurately you could use local mode with snaps (instead of view in that drop down) on the edges. But you'll probably have to do it one at a time.

And snaps can be complicated for a new user. You might want to read up on them. You'll need vertex snap, lock selection and use axis constraints. It's not the easiest snap setup to be honest.

Old 03 March 2013   #4
I might have to figure out the more complicated way of snapping and aligning because I'm afraid that if I don't, when it comes to texturing, the textures will not apply properly and I'll have something that looks a bit out of place.

Old 03 March 2013   #5
You'll probably need to cut around the fins when you've brought them into the body and weld them in too. It's all a learning process.

Old 03 March 2013   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread