UVW Map Help :(

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #1
UVW Map Help :(

i tried to follow a tutorial on digitaltutor and when they select the modifiers UVW Map, a checkerboard appear. When i do the exact same thing, the checkerboard wont show up, i tried to reset my 3ds max settings to default but i still get the same problem. Any idea?

Thanks guys.

Old 03 March 2013   #2
What kind of object? Where can't you see the checkerboard, on the object or in the uvw-editor window?

To display a checkerboard on the object, you have to make a material with a checkerboard diffusemap, then find the button to enable it in the viewport.

If you mean the checkerboard in the 'Unwrap UVW' modifiers UV Editor view, you might have hidden the checkerboard. Try 'View' > 'Show Map'.

Old 03 March 2013   #3
If you're certain that it appears by applying UVW Map modifier, then a material with the cheker map is already assigned to the object.

Show map in viewport button is pressed for that material on the material editor.

Show map in viewport is actually a button on the material editor main toolbar (horizontal buttons) with a checkerboard icon. It is probably the 4th button from the right.

Old 03 March 2013   #4
The checkerboard could be the one displayed in the Unwrap edit window. That only appears on the model if you pull down the map drop down in the top right of the edit window (even though it already says checkerboard, you have to select it again). That adds a temporary checkerboard material to the object. You can then pick it and change the colours and tiling.

I've had it accidentally overwrite the actual material though so I tend to avoid that. If you don't have a material yet, then it should be fine to use.

Old 03 March 2013   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread