Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 03-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
techmage
living in maya

portfolio
Ryan
USA

How to move vertices with planar uv projection?

So I want to apply a planar UVW map to an poly object, then move the vertices around on the poly object, while the planar UVW is active. How do I do that?

Old 03-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #2
DanHibiki
Expert

portfolio
- -
Senior 3d Animator
Invivo communications
Richmond Hill, Canada

If I got it right, then it's all a matter of stack placement.

If you put the planar UVW below the thing that is moving the verts then the UVs will be moved, if you put it above then the UVs will be projected and sort of float there.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:24 PM   #3
techmage
living in maya

portfolio
Ryan
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHibiki
If I got it right, then it's all a matter of stack placement.

If you put the planar UVW below the thing that is moving the verts then the UVs will be moved, if you put it above then the UVs will be projected and sort of float there.

I put an 'edit poly' modifier above the uvw planar project and when I move verts on the topmost 'edit poly', it moves the uv's with the verts

Old 03-06-2013, 11:38 PM   #4
Hambo
portfolio
Germany

The Edit Poly modifier actually has an option, which does exactly that. Just tick the checkbox that says "Preserve UV's" in the "Edit Geometry" field.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:26 AM   #5
scrimski
antieverything
portfolio
J. Schreyer
head->wall
ARRI Berlin
Berlin, Germany

And it's correct that way.
There's an option to preerve UVs in the Edit Poly modifier. You might want to try that out.

If that doesn't work move the UVW Mapping on top of the stack or create a new planar mapping, it's just a matter of a few mouse clicks.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:58 AM   #6
robinb
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by techmage
I put an 'edit poly' modifier above the uvw planar project and when I move verts on the topmost 'edit poly', it moves the uv's with the verts

Wrong way round. That way, you're changing it AFTER the planar projection. You want before.

Changes at the base level under the UVMap modifier are what you want. Or an edit poly modifier under the UVW modifier will work. Then the mapping will be projected AFTER your geometry changes.

However, because the stack operates on a selection, you'll only see it working on things you have selected so it'll look like it doesn't work properly until you deselect or select everything in the base level or edit modifier. Which makes lining things up with a texture very tricky. So to get around THAT you need to put an empty mesh select or edit poly or similar modifier above the level you're working at, but below the UVMap modifier. That will cancel out any selection changes you make while editing.

So the stack will look something like this:

UVWMap
Mesh select
Editable poly <--- Work here.

or

UVWMap
Mesh select
Edit poly modifier <--- work here
Editable poly

Scrimski is correct that Preserve UVs is supposed to do that on collapsed UVs. But it's very very unreliable. If you want to keep perfect undistorted planar uv projection then it's best to work under the UVWMap modifier. Preserve UVs is great when it works and if you have collapsed the stack you can't recover the modifier. But it often doesn't work properly and the UVs get more and more distorted as you work until one will shoot off miles.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:19 PM   #7
techmage
living in maya

portfolio
Ryan
USA

Scrimski, preserve UV's does not work to preserve the effects of a UV modifier in the stack. What it does is it uses a calculation, completely separate and independent of anything in the modifier stack that attempts to translate movement in world space to movement in UV space. Which in some instances can work well, but in my instance it won't, as it works best when moving around vertices on a relatively flat face, and thats not what I am doing, preserve UV's ends up heavily distorting things.

robinb, I got your technique to work once, now I am trying to do it again, and I can't get it work. Is it somehow dependent on the order which you add modifiers to the stack?

I have:
UVW Map
Mesh Select
Edit Poly
EditablePoly

and I am working on Edit Poly, but it doesn't retain the projection on UVW map. However I tried this a coulple days ago and it worked for some reason. Is there something more that has to be done?

Old 03-13-2013, 07:31 PM   #8
techmage
living in maya

portfolio
Ryan
USA

Wait I just discovered it works if you put the mesh select above the uvwmap

Old 03-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #9
robinb
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by techmage
Scrimski, preserve UV's does not work to preserve the effects of a UV modifier in the stack. What it does is it uses a calculation, completely separate and independent of anything in the modifier stack that attempts to translate movement in world space to movement in UV space. Which in some instances can work well, but in my instance it won't, as it works best when moving around vertices on a relatively flat face, and thats not what I am doing, preserve UV's ends up heavily distorting things.

robinb, I got your technique to work once, now I am trying to do it again, and I can't get it work. Is it somehow dependent on the order which you add modifiers to the stack?

I have:
UVW Map
Mesh Select
Edit Poly
EditablePoly

and I am working on Edit Poly, but it doesn't retain the projection on UVW map. However I tried this a coulple days ago and it worked for some reason. Is there something more that has to be done?

Oh, One important bit I forgot is that you have to toggle Show End Result while working. It's the test tube icon under the stack view. Sorry, that's the important bit. I described it without testing.

That setup should be fine, but it probably won't show the result until you deselect unless you press that button.

The stack isn't a history. It doesn't matter what order you apply things, only their position in the stack. So you can apply the UVMap first, then the mesh select, so long as the mesh select goes under the UVMap. Or you drag it there after. It's just easier to apply in order from bottom to top. Think of it like the layer stack in photoshop.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #10
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread