Problems with cloth modifier

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #1
Problems with cloth modifier

Hi everyone.

I found a tricky problem when I was playing around with the cloth modifier this morning, trying to make a simple bed. Look at the picture:

OK, this is what I see when I zoom in the area marked with the red circle (this is just an example, it happens through all the perimeter of the cloth sheet):

The two planes that conform the sheet are not welded together. The sheet was made with garment maker and cloth modifiers. I'm not sure, but maybe there's something wrong in my cloth settings. How can I make the cloth simulation so that the planes weld together?

Kind Regards

Old 03 March 2013   #2
Try making the sheet from a single plane with many segments & a shell. I was always told to avoid garment maker for the subdivision in cloth sims.

Old 03 March 2013   #3
Agreed, the cloth modifier will not weld the vertices together, when dealing with cloth in max is better to simulate a single sheet (something without thickness) and either skin wrapped the final GEO onto it or use the shell + push modifier to give it thickness.

there are also settings like the self collision and check intersections that can help with that sort of problem, but if you use the method mentioned above you will not need to use them really.

Old 03 March 2013   #4
Thank you, guys!
In the end, I did exactly what you advised me to do: I used a single plane, and then I used the shell modifier to give the volume to it. In my opinion, the result qas quite good.

Thanks for the help.

Kind Regards

Old 03 March 2013   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread