PEN Projection Modifier

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #16
As usual, lovely stuff Paul!

Old 03 March 2013   #17
Originally Posted by PEN: The problems with attachments and projections are what got me going on this. The modifier doesn't attach to faces however it slides over them. I have started writing another for sticking to surfaces.

Hear hear! Having this control inside of a modifier would be much much cleaner than the current options involving attachment constraints, scripted controllers, or skin wrap shenanigans.

I also second the idea for some rotation controls, that would be very useful. Thanks Paul!

Old 03 March 2013   #18
Know what would be really cool? A master class about plugin development where you show how you wrote this great tool, Paul.

Also, what are the problems you find with attachment constraint?

Old 03 March 2013   #19
Attachment constraints work fine and many of their limitations will show up in any form of attaching to a face. One of the issues that I have with them is that they require keys to be added to the scene that if removed break the attachment. The issue that I'm going to have with a modifier is I need to deform the whole object just to attach it to a surface even if it isn't deforming with it. If it is deforming with it I need to attach every vertex via barycentric coordinates, this could get slow.

Old 03 March 2013   #20
I did a master class on scripted plugins and I had about four people show up to it. I would run it again if I could get 8 or more.

Old 03 March 2013   #21
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread