3dsmax 2014 sneak peeks

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #61
Originally Posted by Steve Green: Leaving the custom mesh argument aside...

Was there really need for another (presumably incompatible judging by the beta) character animation system though?

I cannot recognize Gepetto as something that got anything to do with character animation. As much as i refuse to recognize that Poser got anything to do with character modelling. Gepetto is a quick cookie cutter like tool to put something into architectural scenes, which will make those type of Max users ( and the managment heads who are responsible for gepetto) happy. Like a few years back the procedural city generators were the trend. Gepetto was/is a waste of time and resources in my eyes, which better had been spend on work on the rusty animation core of 3ds Max. Max currently really suffers from that being neglected for so long

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

Last edited by spacefrog : 03 March 2013 at 02:03 PM.

Old 03 March 2013   #62
Originally Posted by spacefrog: I cannot recognize Gepetto as something that got anything to do with character animation. As much as i refuse to recognize that Poser got anything to do with character modelling. Gepetto is a quick cookie cutter like tool to put something into architural scenes, which will make those type of Max users ( and the managment heads who are responsible for gepetto) happy. Like a few years back the procedural city generators were the trend. Gepetto was/is a waste of time and resources in my eyes, which better had been spend on work on the rusty animation core of 3ds Max. Max currently really suffers from that being neglected for so long

I agree 100%, Gepetto is just about useless for us as an animation studio. A fully refreshed, and stable animation system (CAT) would be much more useful.

Old 03 March 2013   #63
Originally Posted by x24BitVoxel: It's all well and good until a client says they 'love it, but have a few minor changes'. Then... you're in trouble. They want the hands of the woman in the 3rd frame to lift higher and can she be holding something and maybe speak toward the camera? That sort of thing.

This. Exactly this. It's hard to believe this issue did not come up in all the discussions Autodesk say they constantly have with their biggest clients.

Old 03 March 2013   #64
Even to spice up simple architectural scenes, it is insufficient as long as you can not change meshes.

I don't know about materials, but if you can not change materials either, that would be a total dealbreaker as i would hate to have some hostile materials i do not have any control over in my scene.

Any crowd generator, be it even ambient one is not usable as long as you can not customize simulated content. It's like if a particle generator had only one particle sprite hardcoded inside.

Old 03 March 2013   #65
You could change textures up to a point in the beta. But it was literally just swapping out texture pages rather than having much control.

Old 03 March 2013   #66
Originally Posted by lo: It's hard to believe this issue did not come up in all the discussions Autodesk say they constantly have with their biggest clients.

I'm pretty sure it did, but to be fair I think Autodesk probably decided to get it out of the door first and add features in later releases.

Old 03 March 2013   #67
Originally Posted by ramissin: I do understand what it is, it's useless fluff padding out bloated, unstable, unfinished software, masquerading as a "new" feature to generate sales.
I don't think you understand what a system like this should be capable of if you think custom meshes/stairs/elevators shouldn't be an option...it's useless.

Exactly. Its half finished, badly thought out fluff. Totally and utterly pointless

Old 03 March 2013   #68
Originally Posted by pokoy: I'm pretty sure it did, but to be fair I think Autodesk probably decided to get it out of the door first and add features in later releases.

I may be talking out of my ass here, but this sounds like the kind of feature that would be trivial to add if you built your system in anticipation of it, and that would require a complete rewrite if you didn't.

I also think that the "just get it out of the door, we'll fix/revise it later" policy is one of the reasons Autodesk is receiving so much negative criticism in this regard.

Old 03 March 2013   #69
Originally Posted by pokoy: I'm pretty sure it did, but to be fair I think Autodesk probably decided to get it out of the door first and add features in later releases.

Well, thats just as stupid as it gets

Old 03 March 2013   #70
Originally Posted by lo: I may be talking out of my ass here, but this sounds like the kind of feature that would be trivial to add if you built your system in anticipation of it, and that would require a complete rewrite if you didn't.

I also think that the "just get it out of the door, we'll fix/revise it later" policy is one of the reasons Autodesk is receiving so much negative criticism in this regard.

Well, I'm just thinking out loud. I agree with you and seeing all kinds of one-man-devs spitting out cool scripts, plugins, renderers and whatnot is frustrating for me too.

Old 03 March 2013   #71
Originally Posted by lo: This. Exactly this. It's hard to believe this issue did not come up in all the discussions Autodesk say they constantly have with their biggest clients.

Or maybe "the clients" are not who you think they are...

Old 03 March 2013   #72
Originally Posted by kees: Or maybe "the clients" are not who you think they are...

Could you please elaborate? I'm a bit thick.
If this is a feature meant to serve (almost exclusively) the ArchViz market, I assumed the clients would be from the ArchViz industry.

Old 03 March 2013   #73
They could have asked their clients what they want, but instead they went with that Facebook survey and got the opinions of students and pirates instead.

Last edited by DanHibiki : 03 March 2013 at 01:09 PM.

Old 03 March 2013   #74
Originally Posted by DanHibiki: They could have asked their clients what they want, but instead they went with that Facebook survey and got the opinions of students and pirates instead.

On the 3dsmax beta forums there are people from many different companies, not all Arch-vis and they are some of the most experienced 3dmaxers out there, people who write some of the best tools and best plugins for max contribute their own 'free' time on a daily basis. There are some fantastic ideas floating around and good suggestions for fixes/updates/new features and some are being listened to but AD can't develop them all at the same time.

I've been quite impressed with a few small bugs being fixed in the next release, sometimes little things make all the difference.

Old 03 March 2013   #75
Originally Posted by lo: Could you please elaborate?

What I am saying is that perhaps the customers that have been talked to would use the tool differently then you. Or perhaps weren't as keenly observant as you are and forgot to mention the need for some of the features you think are missing from the plugin.

I have no idea though! I am not at all involved with the tool.

What you are asking for (change textures, stairs, basic posing or holding of items, etc) seems reasonable to me to expand the usefulness of the plugin, but I have no idea what its goals are.

Thread Closed share thread