3dsmax 2014 sneak peeks

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #46
I am anxious for the new release of the AD line I wonder if they will still be issuing out the academic trial versions for us hobbyists with no money?

Oh and this is for hotknife: try the e-cig...it helped me quit and is the best thing out there for people wanting to..plus you can smoke anywhere/time and not bother anyone period

Old 03 March 2013   #47
IBL sneak peak

http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/fran...-based-lighting

Old 03 March 2013   #48
Originally Posted by MichaelWBell: A video covering how I used the Populate/Geppetto feature for something non-arch vis related!

http://youtu.be/6AcnJ8FQL-g

The video is private, how can we see it please?

Old 03 March 2013   #49
Originally Posted by DuttyFoot: IBL sneak peak

http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/fran...-based-lighting

Top rated comment on the video on youtube:
"Congratulations, you finally implemented 3 years old MR feature into UI!"

thought exactly the same thing...

But its cool nitrous supports it also

Old 03 March 2013   #50
my favorite part of all these videos is the music, it reminds me of early 90's hip hop.

Old 03 March 2013   #51
Originally Posted by CHRiTTeR: Top rated comment on the video on youtube:
"Congratulations, you finally implemented 3 years old MR feature into UI!"

thought exactly the same thing...

But its cool nitrous supports it also

Nitrous supports IBL already in 2013, just drop a bitmap in environment slot, put skylight in your scene, set it to "use scene environment", enable realistic mode and watch the magic happen

Old 03 March 2013   #52
I am a Vray user but I definately see use in this (the nitrous part) thanks to scene states which let me setup a nitrous viewport without interfering my vray setup (I hope so).

Old 03 March 2013   #53
Originally Posted by raymarcher: I am a Vray user but I definately see use in this (the nitrous part) thanks to scene states which let me setup a nitrous viewport without interfering my vray setup (I hope so).

Most of the nitrous features will still work fine while you're working with Vray as your production renderer. I use vray materials/lights/sun, etc and the nitrous viewport works fine.

I love how even falloff maps work (to a certain degree) right in the viewport. With a nice bit of tweaking + Josef's 'Power Preview' 3DS max script, Nitrous is pretty much a viable option for some finished animations now (fake env lighting, fake dynamic reflections, AO, depth of field, normal maps, etc all supported with nitrous). All I really miss for now is motion blur ala 'Maya viewport 2.0'

Espire 1: My VR Stealth game - CGTalk thread

Old 03 March 2013   #54
Regarding Gepetto:

Why on earth are we even discussing a "crowd simulator" that doesnt even allow you to use your own meshes? What a waste of time. Until they implement this BASIC feature, we should not even be mentioning it in professional or even semi-pro circles. Ridiculous.

Ive been using 3d studio since DOS days, since 3dstudio R2 back in 1994 in fact and ive had it with Autodesk. I wont be renewing this year, im done.

Old 03 March 2013   #55
As far as viewport performance goes, you guys should try Cinema 4D. My God, I really don't know how anyone can animate in there, its pretty much impossible to playback in realtime. 3ds Max is LIGHT YEARS ahead of Maxon in the viewport category.

Old 03 March 2013   #56
Originally Posted by thethule: Regarding Gepetto:

Why on earth are we even discussing a "crowd simulator" that doesnt even allow you to use your own meshes? What a waste of time. Until they implement this BASIC feature, we should not even be mentioning it in professional or even semi-pro circles. Ridiculous.

Ive been using 3d studio since DOS days, since 3dstudio R2 back in 1994 in fact and ive had it with Autodesk. I wont be renewing this year, im done.

This is looking pretty grim, I'll agree.

Old 03 March 2013   #57
Originally Posted by x24BitVoxel: This is looking pretty grim, I'll agree.

I don't think people understand what Gepettto actually is.. it's quick and easy crowds generator to spice up arch viz scenes.. and from a (medium) distance it is actually looking pretty good.. sure bugs, zombies etc it's all there as usual but complaining you can't load your own meshes is a bit moot since that is not what it is meant to do.

Old 03 March 2013   #58
Leaving the custom mesh argument aside...

Was there really need for another (presumably incompatible judging by the beta) character animation system though?

There's a lot of talk of making things work together and XBR making Max more cohesive, but then the sum total of 6 years work is what looks like a closed system which is only really much use for one market.

Old 03 March 2013   #59
Originally Posted by jonadb: I don't think people understand what Gepettto actually is.. it's quick and easy crowds generator to spice up arch viz scenes.. and from a (medium) distance it is actually looking pretty good.. sure bugs, zombies etc it's all there as usual but complaining you can't load your own meshes is a bit moot since that is not what it is meant to do.

Clients are SUPER picky about who and what shows up in their scenes. In the middle east they want proper headgear, in the south they want business conservative, in the midwest they want business casual. If you can change the clothes, textures, heights, etc then it's going to be ok but that's not the gist I'm getting here. If I have to take a viz artist to make pants textures for characters.... well, that's not going to work.

I watched the movies for it on AD website and they look cool. But random. There are no groups of 2 or 3 people walking together. Is it an option? Maybe it's too early to tell, but all in all I am skeptical. It's all well and good until a client says they 'love it, but have a few minor changes'. Then... you're in trouble. They want the hands of the woman in the 3rd frame to lift higher and can she be holding something and maybe speak toward the camera? That sort of thing. The client would have never asked for it otherwise, but give them a little and they'll ask for a lot. (Understandably.)

Hopefully I am wrong but it doesn't seem that way from reading the brief on it.

This could have worked out better is all I'm saying. We already have crowds systems that AD abandoned almost right away. We could have used .bips and particle flow for this as well, since there are all these updates to pflow lately. Anywho here's to hoping it's more customizable than it seems.

Old 03 March 2013   #60
Originally Posted by jonadb: I don't think people understand what Gepettto actually is.. it's quick and easy crowds generator to spice up arch viz scenes.. and from a (medium) distance it is actually looking pretty good.. sure bugs, zombies etc it's all there as usual but complaining you can't load your own meshes is a bit moot since that is not what it is meant to do.

I do understand what it is, it's useless fluff padding out bloated, unstable, unfinished software, masquerading as a "new" feature to generate sales.
I don't think you understand what a system like this should be capable of if you think custom meshes/stairs/elevators shouldn't be an option...it's useless.

Thread Closed share thread