3dsmax 2014 sneak peeks

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #31
Originally Posted by darthviper107: It'd be pretty useless if you couldn't use your own meshes.
well, that's sort of what Substance shader turned out to be.

Old 03 March 2013   #32
I don't think that Geppetto is useless - just pretty limited and self-contained in its current form - even within the market that it's aimed at for architecural visualisation, they certainly need to add stairs/escalators replacement meshes for different situations/locales.

If they do that it will help for other uses, but I doubt it will ever turn into something like Massive lite.

Old 03 March 2013   #33
Originally Posted by Byteman3D:
And I still wonder if one day we will see our multi cores working altogether during viewport operations.

Thats mostly graphics card work, not cpu.

Old 03 March 2013   #34
Originally Posted by DanHibiki: well, that's sort of what Substance shader turned out to be.

Unless you forked out extra for the 'bitmaptomaterial' shader....

And at the moment, Geppetto ceratinly looks more like a 'business people strolling to the office' rather than a 'giant insectoid army besieging a fortress' crowd system.

Old 03 March 2013   #35
A video covering how I used the Populate/Geppetto feature for something non-arch vis related!

http://youtu.be/6AcnJ8FQL-g

Espire 1: My VR Stealth game - CGTalk thread

Old 03 March 2013   #36
Beware this is probably classed as a rant because I've spent the last day trying to rig a character with CAT and last week previously put my faith in State Sets and I'm still giving up smoking -

All these new features are worthless unless they WORK, on a side note I'm finding the user interface is getting more sluggish and unergonomic the more it is developed.

Starting with CAT - I'm doing a very simple rig with it, the process of adding extra Head Bones seems to bugger the rig - it's fairly random - but once added the bones tend to dis-appear somewhere taking that part of the mesh with it - this is before any real work is done with the rig and very early in the rigging process. I already am banging my head.

I put my faith in State Sets once again last week on a project but the amount of errors it pops up seems to leave me again thinking it's still not solid/production ready.

The Ribbon interface : Why when you have the chance to start designing a new interface do you start with the unergonomic decision to have the bloody text run inverted & sideways on screen - and in a forced different layout to its docked position, essentially forcing the user learn two layouts. One docked and one undocked - please bring back the ability to run the Ribbon across screen when undocked !

I've switched a lot of modelling to ZBrush (because it's great )and despite everybody ranting about it's user interface - I can tell you that once you are familiar with it - it's bloody fast.
I've been using Max since Dos (blah blah I know this doesn't qualify my opinion) but my point is I am finding Max slower to use these days - because of the interface and the bugs....
As I've said I've swapped a lot of modelling to ZB (I do retop in Max which it's very good for with the help of a plugin Wrapit)and am also wondering where Max's position is as far as animation is in the world as a lot of tools that are in it don't bloody work as well as they should.
Ok nicorette mint is now doing it's job.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UserInterface.jpg (42.6 KB, 152 views)

Old 03 March 2013   #37
Originally Posted by MichaelWBell: A video covering how I used the Populate/Geppetto feature for something non-arch vis related!

http://youtu.be/6AcnJ8FQL-g

Looks great, Michael . Good work!

Old 03 March 2013   #38
Originally Posted by MichaelWBell: A video covering how I used the Populate/Geppetto feature for something non-arch vis related!

Very cool!

Old 03 March 2013   #39
Originally Posted by coldside-digital:

This looks very ugly... Hope this is not in 2014...

Best thing i hear about 2014 yet, is the new camera zoom/pan tool ...

Old 03 March 2013   #40
Originally Posted by jedie: This looks very ugly... Hope this is not in 2014...

That font is a user preference from Windows not something new with 3dsmax! (Thank god!)

Old 03 March 2013   #41
Originally Posted by DaveWortley: That font is a user preference from Windows not something new with 3dsmax! (Thank god!)

then I can breathe again But what's with the new icons in the main menu?

Old 03 March 2013   #42
Thumbs up

I want max using olld UI again
Like this :

why they have a time to design UI and dont have a time to kill some bug instead adding it....many CAT doesnt walk correctly or just craw, viewport seem lack {hope not in max 2014}...and many other....from all UI design , why choose Bad MS office design, its just simply not efficient in max , in ms office maybe, but not in max...many bloated space got cut out....just to show UI....heeeh.....sigh...sigh..autodesk max , how dark your future will be....

Old 03 March 2013   #43
Originally Posted by jedie: This looks very ugly... Hope this is not in 2014...

Yep that is an absolute winner feat IMHO

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

Old 03 March 2013   #44
Originally Posted by jedie: Best thing i hear about 2014 yet, is the new camera zoom/pan tool ...

And how does that work exactly?

I just survived an 8.8 earthquake, that experience I'll take it to my grave.

Old 03 March 2013   #45
Originally Posted by CHRiTTeR: Thats mostly graphics card work, not cpu.

Most people misunderstand the effect of CPU GPU and memory on 3ds Max operation. Some of them experience performance increase with a graphics card on some specific software, and that's why they think it should have the same benefits with 3ds Max, but alas, it's wrong.

IMHO however, most of the time it is not the GPU that creates the bottleneck during viewport operations. On many occasions, you may see choppy playback of animation while navigating the viewport is actually very fast. It is because GPU has nothing to do with the long list of modifiers of 3ds Max, unless you convert the model to the GPU format, (like Gpoly) in which case the performance increase is again limited to the gains in geometry conversion.

There are a lot more calculations on a Max scene which the GPU can't lend a hand, than it actually does. You see it even on the sneak peak video. You can't just select an object fast enough within a large number of objects. I'm pretty sure the guys on the video are using one of the recommended graphics cards.

Thread Closed share thread