3dsmax 2014 sneak peeks

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #16
Originally Posted by Byteman3D:
And I still wonder if one day we will see our multi cores working altogether during viewport operations.
no disrespect but i think generally people who ask questions like this don't know much about how programming or computer hardware works. Words like multi-core / multi-threading are used as if it is relevent or even possible to implement for all situations and there is some magic button that can implement it effortlessly. I am reminded of a client recently asking to add something in to a just completed 3 minute animation, they were told it wasn't possible given the time constraints since we would have to re-render etc, to which they replied "can't you just photoshop it?"

Old 03 March 2013   #17
Originally Posted by Gravey: generally people who ask questions like this don't know much about how programming or computer hardware works.

That's outrageous, I've never seen a single Autodesk employee ask a question in here.

Old 03 March 2013   #18
By the way, there is something else that I really need to understand about multithreaded operation:
My previous PC was a quad core 9550. This CPU has 4 physical cores and no virtual cores.

If I force the system to its limits with a viewport navigation, the overall CPU usage of 3dsmax.exe was reported as %25 as you might expect, but this was the operation of only one core, which was visible in separate core graphic view of the Windows task manager.

Now with this 6 core 6 thread PC, 3DS Max overall usage during a viewport operation is, 100/12, which equals something around 8% (just like the previous PC was 100/4=25) however, this time it's not only the first core running at it's full potential creating the overall %8 thing, but 6 cores operating to some extent, altogether making a %8.

Eventually single core operation seems to be divided onto 6 cores on this PC, with 1/12 of full CPU power.

This really baffled me...

side noteuring viewport playback 3dsmax.exe process uses about 21% (Only peaks at 25 at first playback start, but often constantly stays at 20-21) or during some other operations (other than render) I see the process use even 50-60% total CPU power. There is actually some multicore (or multithreaded) operation.

Old 03 March 2013   #19
as it still just a technology researches demo vedio so we cnnot take it as a promise
but also as you start recognize some interface changes i can wonder with you that geppitto become a part of the software because its integrated in the ribbon and also there's a menu called crowed !!!

also on the same direction i think naiad technology will be revealed too (((another menu called simulation))) and i don't think it will be only for mass fx

only i hope this being right guessing and not get the egg shape at the end

Old 03 March 2013   #20
Originally Posted by hotknife: Or the person running the demo has installed Gepetto. Doesn't def' point to it being included in the software.

Edit :Can anybody comment on how flexible Gepetto is ? It looks as if it's designed for very strict - (I'm a crowd walking around a building) kinda thing. Can you have an army of Orcs attacking a castle while avoiding a giant humming bird made from a CAT rig with 16 legs for example ?

On the beta/demo?

Very limited - you could draw flow paths and circular areas for them to stand around, and they would avoid colliding in flow paths, branch off.

It's pretty limited - useful for arch-viz but you couldn't replace the mesh with other characters (you could swap out textures though)

Makes me wonder what they've been doing with it for the 6-odd years they've been developing it.

Old 03 March 2013   #21
Originally Posted by Steve Green: Makes me wonder what they've been doing with it for the 6-odd years they've been developing it.

From my understanding of Geppetto there is an underlying motion-synthesis system that`s much more advanced than the rather simple motion clip blending.
It was said that it wasn`t easy to implement and there where some tough problems to solve.

Old 03 March 2013   #22
Well maybe the underlying tech is more sophisticated than the current implementation, but all the examples I've seen have been fairly basic - I'm pretty sure the flow paths don't interact with the static groups, and the flows themselves don't stop or pause, just avoid and turn off to join other paths - I'm pretty sure the beta couldn't handle stairs or even slopes.

I could have sworn that earlier examples talked about were more sophisticated blends like people moving to sit down, but as it stands the public examples of it are pretty simple crowds for 6 years of development.

Old 03 March 2013   #23
Originally Posted by Steve Green: but you couldn't replace the mesh with other characters

Well, this would be disappointing, to put it mildly.

Old 03 March 2013   #24
Originally Posted by Byteman3D: I'm not a bit anxious until I see that so called "large" architectural scene demonstrated in a walkthrough animation and walks-through like the penguin's after performance.

I ve switched back to the good old direct 3d more than a year ago and I ve worked with 30 fold larger scenes moving even faster. Nitrous is really cool in display quality but only eye-candy if it will still take 10 seconds to select an object in a real life scene.

I really wonder if one day we will see our multi cores working altogether during viewport operations. Or is it just not possible for such kind of calculations?
But it will be a giant leap, don't you think? We've been buying new machines for years, and I can't bear the idea that my current 12 core i7 3930K is only 3 times faster in rendering performance compared to my previous 4 core 9550.

A linear calculation brings me to the evident conclusion that both machines would perform almost identical during one core viewport work.

could you please tell me which grafic card do you have and what version of max do you use?

Old 03 March 2013   #25
I wonder how long they spent on development for this product and how many people worked on it.
http://www.basefount.com/miarmy

On a positive note I've always been impressed with the Autodesk Labs people - when we've had an issue with the Labs plugins I've always got a personal query and response from them until the problem was solved. So as Geppetto is coming out of the Lab I am optimistic for it.

I'd be very surprised if you couldn't buy/swap models and motions etc. via the Autodesk Animation Store - this would surely be a sales/point money making opportunity surely to good to miss.

Old 03 March 2013   #26
Originally Posted by RappyBMX: this is horrible it's like 4 different things that have nothing in common, wtf !!!

I believe that what you're seeing there is entirely voluntary.

Old 03 March 2013   #27
http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/fran...heppetto-update

Old 03 March 2013   #28
Wowzerz, that looks awesome. If you could replace the meshes with custom ones then this would be a life saver.

Good find MGernot

Old 03 March 2013   #29
Oh man. Populate is cool!

Vimeo Videos
Daniel Broadway

Old 03 March 2013   #30
Originally Posted by DrZenith: Wowzerz, that looks awesome. If you could replace the meshes with custom ones then this would be a life saver.

Good find MGernot

It'd be pretty useless if you couldn't use your own meshes.

Thread Closed share thread