GPU for Max

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
GPU for Max

I will be getting a new system built in couple of months and I'm currently trying to find a good GPU for Max (and Maya as well). It seems AMD's offerings are currently rated better for 3D, but I will be using a Adobe programs and Resolve Lite as well, so I prefer an Nvidia card.

I'm currently looking at a 670 since it is more affordable than a 680. Now does anyone know if the 4GB version is better than the 2GB one?

Thanks.

02 February 2013
The more GPU memory the better... it's my understanding that for GPU rendering the entire scene has to fit within the memory of the graphics card... if the scene doesnt fit within the GPU memory it won't be used at all and defaults to the CPU.

03 March 2013
Thanks.

Can you give me an idea how grand a scene needs to be before it maxes out a 2GB?

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by Potzden: I will be getting a new system built in couple of months and I'm currently trying to find a good GPU for Max (and Maya as well). It seems AMD's offerings are currently rated better for 3D, but I will be using a Adobe programs and Resolve Lite as well, so I prefer an Nvidia card.

I'm currently looking at a 670 since it is more affordable than a 680. Now does anyone know if the 4GB version is better than the 2GB one?

Thanks.

Do you want to render on the GPU or do you need just good viewport performance?

03 March 2013
I have a 2GB 670 GTX on my hoe PC and it's awesome. Plays games maxed out, and 3ds max and mudbox run nicely too.

4GB twice as good as 2GB lol

In general, get the most expensive card that you're willing to pay for. ie: don't buy a 250 card if you can afford a 350 card. (imo)

03 March 2013
The speed difference between the 670 and 680 isn't that much so 670 should be fine. If you plan to do GPU rendering with iRay or Vray RT then you would want as much memory as possible.

03 March 2013
I see.

Thanks for the help so far.

BTW, is it ok to have factory OC'ed cards?

03 March 2013
^^^
For MAX it isnt so much important /OC card/, even GTX660 or GTX 560-580 would be just fine, but if you work with some extrem HC scenes witj milions of polys, only managment of scene can save you.

03 March 2013
Also, have a think about cooling the card - a graphics card playing a computer game for an hour is not the same as it fully rendering a scene all night long.

03 March 2013
^^^
GPU does not render final image, unless you have some QUADRO/ TESLA system, and you don
...CPU does the render, so, sleep tight

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by okmijun: ^^^
GPU does not render final image, unless you have some QUADRO/ TESLA system, and you don

Uhh, no, the GPU will do the render if you're using any number of renderers that use the GPU.

For example, I have a 3 different nVidia GTX cards that have GPUs and they all render with iRay.

You don't know what you're talking about.

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by Potzden: Can you give me an idea how grand a scene needs to be before it maxes out a 2GB?

Hard to say but it is 2gb is definitely not enough. Stick to the 4gb, buy a 6gig titan if you have the funds. Here's the thing:

It's not only polygons that use memory and who knows what else. I've put 1025 boxes, each with 58 segments in HWD, to test at what point my 4 gb 670 will give memory errors.

Iray rendered 42.816.300 polygons without textures. Adding a single box to the scene adds another 41,772 polys, and it doesn't render using the GPU (That is 42.858.072 polygons). You can assume 2GB to be even less than half of 42 Mio, because Windows (or Max viewport) uses considerable amount of graphics memory.

And polygon count is not the only thing.

At the last rendered polygon count, I added a 2048x2048 pixel texture and it didn't render due to lack of memory, but it did render some boxes assigned 1024x1024 texture, and one box assigned a 512x512 texture.

Here, the below comment of Okmijun makes real sense:
Originally Posted by Okmijun: ...but if you work with some extrem HC scenes with millions of poly's, only management of scene can save you.

It seems texture is the least amount of concern here plus you can use smaller textures however, it's not possible to guess what else consumes the graphics memory. These renders were 640x480. Who knows how much these limits are reduced at a higher resolution. (or how much is the memory consumption of any scene element)

I guess it is best to attach a secondary graphics card for windows, to keep iray both make the best use of your graphics memory and perform better during rendering.

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by okmijun: ^^^

In iRay and other GPU rendering engines the GPU does the majority of processing, in fact you can turn off all CPUs and just let the GPU process it.

In basic usage a GeForce card can process the same as the Quadro / Tesla setup, just not as fast.
M&E Division Beta Administrator
Autodesk, Inc

03 March 2013
In iRay the Geforce cards render faster than Tesla or Quadro

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by mynewcat: Uhh, no, the GPU will do the render if you're using any number of renderers that use the GPU.

For example, I have a 3 different nVidia GTX cards that have GPUs and they all render with iRay.

You don't know what you're talking about.

Please, do not use so hard words, I really know what I am talking about...
The was asking GTX 670<> GTX 680, so regarding to that, he will not use ONE SINGLE GTX670 for any production render, just for priview test, ok?
that were my words "GPU does not render".... unless you have 3,4 times GTX cards like 580 or 670 or some Tesla system.
Best R

Originally Posted by KellyM: In iRay and other GPU rendering engines the GPU does the majority of processing, in fact you can turn off all CPUs and just let the GPU process it.

In basic usage a GeForce card can process the same as the Quadro / Tesla setup, just not as fast.

Yeah, Kelly, I know, ofcourse, my words were on this topic meaning "you will not use one single GTX670 for production GPU render" it's my mistake, sorry.

Last edited by okmijun : 03 March 2013 at 08:37 PM.

Thread Closed share thread