Black line in the model.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
Black line in the model.

Hi ,

I have a picture attached in this post and I don't have any idea how that black line appeared in the model is.

Please help.

Thanks.

02 February 2013
Check your smoothing groups, maybe apply a Smooth modifier(not Mesh- or Turbo Smooth).

02 February 2013
Also, the default lighting doesn't have very good shading so you'd want to add some actual lights.

02 February 2013
Thanks for the speedy response.

Schreyer: Smooth modifier didn't work. it still had the black line on the model.

Zachary: Actual lights helped to get rid of the black line, but still I was just planning on to use the photograph that you see in the picture to as a source of light. The lighting setup made the scene look more artificial. Still playing around with the light settings to make it look more real. I hope I am getting there.

Few more buildings to be made, don't know how it would end up finally.

Thanks

02 February 2013
I don't know what you mean by the photograph being the source of light, there's ways to use photography for lighting but that photo isn't the type you would use for that. Normally you'd have to try and replicate the lighting of the photo for your 3D elements.

02 February 2013
Hi Zachary,

Quote: there's ways to use photography for lighting but that photo isn't the type you would use for that.

What kind of photographs are used as a source of lighting. ? Could you please explain a bit more?

Thanks.

02 February 2013
Typically spherical HDRIs

02 February 2013
HDR lighting, if you're doing the photography yourself you can do a setup to take a spherical HDR image. HDR is high dynamic range, when you create one you do several photos at different exposures and then can combine them into a single image that will contain data to where things that are actually bright (illuminated) will have values higher than white or darker than black. So if you photograph a spherical HDR map you can use it to create your lighting.You can also use it for reflections.

02 February 2013
OK thanks Zachary for the detailed explanation. I have heard something on HDR, never really gave a thought about it.

02 February 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread