Need to know how to Skew a texture..

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
Need to know how to Skew a texture..

Hi everyone,

I've been using MAX for about a year but I've recently come up against a wall by some stairs that I want to 'slant' or 'skew' a texture for so that it follows a pathway up some stairs. However, in both the 'UVW map' and 'UVW unwrap' modifiers I can only seem to rotate the texture, not skew it.

Is there any way to do this? Below is an example of the effect I am trying to achieve:

Regards, Asa.

02 February 2013
you could slide/skew the texture around using unwrap UVW. So you'd need to drag your polygon edges around in the Edit UVW window and scew them.

Make sure this is in a new UV channel if you have a concrete texture like the example photo otherwise you'll screw this up.

02 February 2013
Hi MisterS, thanks very much for your reply.

Below is a screenshot of my current workspace. Forgive me for being amateur, but how would one go about doing what you suggested in the scenario shown below?

Regards, Asa.

02 February 2013
Well if you think about it, skewing that texture would be wrong.

It looks like wallpaper and if I was papering that hall I wouldn't be able to skew the wallpaper to fit it up the stairs. I would either keep the strips running vertically and trim them at an angle when you got to the stairs, or, if you just rolling the paper out along the skirting board just rotate it up the stairs.

Unless you've got some new high tech elastic wallpaper of course

02 February 2013
That is a good point! Guess you could try and skew a black/white solid gradient and use as a mask to blend between plaster and paper.

02 February 2013
You can convert your mapping coordinates into geometry using the Channel info utility, skew the desired part and convert it back into mapping coordinates(using Channel Infos again).

02 February 2013
Or try spline mapping. It should handle it for you.

-Eric

02 February 2013
Yeah this is the sort of thing that sounds simple but is actually really difficult to achieve with UVUnwrap. The best way to do it IMO is to have a plane that goes behind the stairs, not cut out around them. Then you'll only have a vertex at the top and bottom. Then it's easy to grab the end and drag it up and or down to line the texture up to the slope.

Or have it as a straight plane, map that and snap the verts to the top and bottom step after.

Then if you need to cut out round the stairs, do it after.

What Scrimski says is really the only way to do skews on UVs, but it's a lot of messing about.

Spline mapping probably won't work in this case. It'll rotate the UVs, not skew them I think. Could be wrong about that though. I've not had much success with spline mapping. You might be able to rotate the cross sections to align with the wall. Not sure if they rotate in that axis. Worth a go.

02 February 2013
If done right spline mapping will do exactly what he needs. Create a spline matching the top wall or one of the vertical edges. After Picking the spline, just scale and rotate the controls to match one of the linear walls and it should get you the majority of the way there.

-Eric

02 February 2013
If it does, that's good.

I've not had much success with it. It's always a gigantic mess of huge gizmos all over the place. But that's probably because we use metres and it might be assuming inches like a LOT of Max. It can be wrestled into the right shape, but it's a lot of messing about. Easier to do it another way in the cases I've tried.

02 February 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread