Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 02-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #1
wimmm
portfolio
wim janssen
antwerp, Belgium

max, maya and multiple artists...

Hi there,

Seems like I posted in the wrong forum before, sorry. Difficult to know if this should be for the max or for the maya users, but I guess many of you have used both. Here goes:

I was just wondering, what are peoples experiences with working with either software as concerns working together with a few artists on one large scene? I came across this article (http://lesterbanks.com/2012/08/auto...assembly-tools/) which would lean more to maya, but I have found little info in this respect to max.

Any advice or insights are very welcome!

thanks in advance,

wim

Old 02-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #2
robinb
Expert

We use Containers in Max for working on chunks of large static scenes. They work quite well for that.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:49 AM   #3
wimmm
portfolio
wim janssen
antwerp, Belgium

Hi Robinb,

Thanks for the tip. How are they in terms of stability and bugs? I read of people having problems with them, but mainly from max2011, when they seem to have bee introduced. Are they bug free now?

Old 02-20-2013, 01:00 PM   #4
robinb
Expert

There are still a few problems, crashes and occasional corruption. But no more than any other max scene. They ARE just max scene files, so you can merge out of them and save over the original if the worst comes to worst (and version control is a good idea). But on the whole, we have 100 or more artists working with them every day at work so they're safe enough for our needs.

There was a nasty bug with attaching objects that are both in a container. That used to crash max, but the recovery file it saved had the attached object in, so it was possible to recover from, but it doesn't do that any more to my knowledge.

They can be quite confusing, so you'll need to read up on them. For example if you open a container to edit, then close the scene (say you made a mistake and didn't want to save it), the container stays locked open. You need to find and delete the .lock file associated with the container. That one comes up every day. There's a tool in the container toolbar to do it.

I hear they aren't really suited to animation or external rigs or anything like that. But if you just want them to hold chunks of scene so people can see more than the area they're working on at a time, then they do that job.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:00 PM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread