Best Cloth plug for Max?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
Best Cloth plug for Max?

Hi!

Please help me choose the easiest and the most reliable cloth plug for Max. I need to do all kinds of fluttering and waving fabrics stuff. Nothing superfancy.

I'm choosing a platform on which to perform this tasks, I could do this in Maya with nCloth, but part of the project is in Max so it would be easier to make it on the same platform. Thanks!

02 February 2013
Hey there,

You should try SimCloth.

www.patrickprobst.de
www.notanotherpixel.com

02 February 2013
Why not simply use the one shipping with the product ?

I'm talking about "Cloth" here ( modifier ), but for "waving and fluttering" even the other oneshipping with 3ds max ( "mCloth) might be enough, even though it's rather limited compared to cloth

Simcloth is pretty old and limited compared to the builtin Cloth plugins...

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

02 February 2013
The standard Cloth modifier is pretty powerful for a lot of tasks. Waving and fluttering is one of them.

02 February 2013
Simcloth, recently had to try to use the max standard cloth for a job. Simcloth made it look pedestrian.

MY HMC

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by Airflow: Simcloth, recently had to try to use the max standard cloth for a job. Simcloth made it look pedestrian.

Well, the cloth modifier isn't suited for some cases - I struggle trying to get nice wrinkles on it. How does simcloth compare Airflow? I know the current state of art is Marvelous Designer, but that is a stand alone soft.

02 February 2013
Thanks for replies guys!

Yes, SimCloth is quite old.. and I'm kinda afraid of starting huge project with it.

02 February 2013
I think the default max cloth modifier is all what you need to get great cloth simulations, and also a lot's of other simulations (chain, flowers, ropes, dog ears, hair...)
Paul Hormis ex-Blizzard guy have a great dvd tutorial on cloth. Google it out, it will open your horizon.

Imho, no need for plugin at all.

Last edited by d4rk3lf : 02 February 2013 at 06:24 PM.

02 February 2013
Paul Hormis! He's a legend! I will definitely check his DVD out! Thanks!

02 February 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread