Please help SplineIK Solver issue

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #1
Question Please help SplineIK Solver issue

SplineIK Solver issue:

If you look at this video you should see what I am trying to accomplish. However in that video you will notice the chain-links have some jitter going on. All the axles where supposed to be 8 inches on center, well I noticed some were not. So that was fixed and then using the same technic as I did before I set out to create a new chain going around a path:

Steps:

1 Group each chain section together

2 I placed a dummies on the axels so I could snap the bonesto those pivot points

3 Placed my bones using the snap tool on the dummy pivot points.

4 Linked my group chain sections to each bone

5 Brought in my path in Top View, rotated 90 degrees

6 Went to Animation - IK Solvers - SplineIK Solver Ė Picked my bottom Bone, then my top bone and then the path.

This is what I am getting

Image 1: You see the Bones snapped to the dummy Pivotpoints.

Image 2: You see all the bones linked and the path insertedand rotated.

Image 3: is after the IK Solver (Looks good, oh wait see image 4)

Image4: Is showing the parts splitting

Imag5: is a close up of where the bones are changing side and such flipping the parts. (I know the path looks too big but itís not, itísan effect of the bigger problem.

Can anyone help? Ideas, suggestions, or answers would be preferred. I donít understand how I did this before, and now all the sudden Iam getting this crap!

Last edited by HDEJustin : 02 February 2013 at 08:38 PM.

Old 02 February 2013   #2
Really no one can help????????????????????????????

Old 02 February 2013   #3
Spline IK Chains are a pain in the ass in 3ds Max. ALWAYS gives me huge headaches. One of our customers deals with conveying chains. Every time we get a project from him, it's like the first week is only used for getting those stupid chains to work in 3ds max .

We ended up cloning and rotating one chain element and then parenting it to the one before. Because that too is a pain in the ass, we made a little Script:

for i = 1 to i = 25 do
(
	prev=$
	new=instance prev
	select new
	paramWire.connect prev.pos.controller.Path_Constraint.controller[#Percent] new.pos.controller.Path_Constraint.controller[#Percent] "Percent+0.02"
	$.rotation.x_rotation = $.rotation.x_rotation +90.0
)

the "Percent +0.02" depends on the length of your chain items, i think. Last Project is half a year ago, so I'm not entirely sure how we endet up with .02. Just use try and error till you see a connection between chain element length and the percentage offset

Couple of other scripts and Tutorials that helped me:
http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/s...n-creation-tool
http://www.itoosoft.com/freeplugins/clone.php
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F6Q0xJ5gL4

I think the next time we have to do chains again, I'll wirte it all down and I'll make a small tutorial of it, because it really is a pain in the ass sometimes.

Old 02 February 2013   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread