Render to texture/better hi res decals

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
Render to texture/better hi res decals

I having slight trouble baking textures, they come out too dark this is my first problem.

I have created a high res brick wall using individually modeled bricks and mortar, I want to be able to put a decal on the wall add dirt and graffiti and such. the only way I have been able to do this is by copying the bricks and mortar as a single object and putting a transparent texture on it. trouble is it seemed too much just for a decal, any ideas?

I have tried posting this before but it never showed up. also how to I link to an image so I can illustrate what I mean?

TIA

02 February 2013
If you make a composite material you shouldn't need to attach them anymore.

Composite material has 2 materials in it - you standard brick one, and above that should go a material for your decal, and an alpha for the decal in the mask slot. Make sure the mask and the decal diffuse bitmaps have a different channel ID to the main brick texture. Then apply this new composite material to the bricks, and give all the objects a second UVW modifier, set to the ID channel of the decal and alpha, and move this around. If you set the bitmaps (the decal and the mask) to not tile in their map settings, you should just be able to move the new UVW gizmo around and see your decal.

You could also use a blend map to do the same thing.

02 February 2013
thanx for the reply, I shall try that. I "think" I know what you mean.

how do I post a sample picture so I can illustrate if needed?

02 February 2013
You can attach images straight to CG Talk, in the bit below the "submit" button. Just print screen what you have and save it out in Paint!

Another nice thing about doing it this way is that you can have a totally different material for the second object. If it's spray paint, you might not necessarily want to, but if it's something like blood or oil, you can make it shiny. If it's a bullet hole, you can give it a "negative" bump map so that it appears to recede into the wall, etc.

02 February 2013

As you can see from the image above wall b is a low res version, I had to do a lot of work because the texture was too dark and still doesn't look good.

wall a is the original. Each brick is a separate component attached as one object same with the mortar, each I am using 11 unique textures for the bricks and mortar each brick was pre uv mapped before attaching as one object.

I am still struggling using a composite material.

when I apply the multisub object material as the base everything goes wrong:(

do you know of any good tutorials?

my current method is to copy the whole object split it in half and apply a material with alpha map wall c

I hope this explains better
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3dsmax.jpg (45.5 KB, 18 views)

02 February 2013
woohoo I did it, thanx very much, I can carry on now

02 February 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread