Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 01-28-2013, 09:38 PM   #1
Mike Truly
Expert
Mike Truly
Truly Media
Crested Butte, CO, USA

Create Object from Camera Cone?

Is there any tool for automatically creating an object which duplicates a Camera's cone?

The PFlow Camera Culling operator doesn't work for me so I need to create an object to use for culling particles in PFlow based on the camera view. If the camera was squared up to the world axes, it would be easy to create the object by hand. But since the camera is not, it would be nice if there was a tool to automatically create an object based on the camera's cone.

Thanks for any ideas!

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 01-29-2013, 08:36 AM   #2
Swordslayer
isKindOf Artist

portfolio
Vojtech Cada
3D generalist
Czech Republic

Send a message via ICQ to Swordslayer
Maybe a script could help here. For a standard target camera (provided that the aspect ratio used in common render parameters is the same as the one used for rendering), the most basic version would be something like

Code:
fn cameraCone cam = ( local dist = distance cam.target.pos cam.pos local width = 2 * dist * tan (cam.fov/2) local depth = (width * renderHeight)/renderWidth pyramid pos:cam.target.pos dir:cam.dir \ height:dist width:width depth:depth ) cameraCone $Camera01

Old 01-29-2013, 10:12 AM   #3
Swordslayer
isKindOf Artist

portfolio
Vojtech Cada
3D generalist
Czech Republic

If you'd want to move the camera and/or change its fov or target distance, here is the same converted to controllers:

Code:
fn setupCameraCone cam = ( local cameraCone = pyramid pos:cam.target.pos dir:cam.dir parent:cam local ctrl = float_script() local ctrlPos = position_constraint() ctrl.addObject #cam cam ctrlPos.constraints.appendTarget cam.target 100.0 cameraCone.height.controller = ctrl cameraCone.height.controller.script = "(distance cam.target.pos cam.pos)" cameraCone.width.controller = (ctrl = copy ctrl) cameraCone.width.controller.script += " * tan(cam.fov/2) * 2" cameraCone.depth.controller = (ctrl = copy ctrl) cameraCone.depth.controller.script += " * (renderHeight as float)/ renderWidth" cameraCone.position.controller = ctrlPos cameraCone ) setupCameraCone $Camera001

Old 01-29-2013, 03:58 PM   #4
Mike Truly
Expert
Mike Truly
Truly Media
Crested Butte, CO, USA

Vojtech,

Thank you very much for this great tool! I am not a scripter so I really appreciate you writing this.

Thanks again.

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 01-29-2013, 04:49 PM   #5
Swordslayer
isKindOf Artist

portfolio
Vojtech Cada
3D generalist
Czech Republic

My pleasure, let me know if you would like to change anything to better fit your purpose.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:00 PM   #6
Mike Truly
Expert
Mike Truly
Truly Media
Crested Butte, CO, USA

Vojtech,

*So far, I have only used the first script you wrote.

So from my understanding of the script you wrote, it creates an object based on the camera cone of an object called 'Camera01'. If I want to create an object based on the camera cone of a differently named camera, I must edit the script to use the proper name in order for it to work.

Can the script be made to work on the selected camera instead? This would be easier than having to edit the script each time.

After the cone object is made from the camera cone, I must convert to Editable Poly or Editable Mesh and edit the object a bit so the cone is slightly larger than the original camera cone. The reason the cone object must be larger than the camera cone is so that future particles created within the new cone object do not pop on in the resulting camera render. If it's a bit larger than the camera cone, the particles will appear outside the view of the camera instead of popping on in view. I also must link the new cone object to the camera.

If it was possible to make the resulting cone object slightly larger and linked to the selected camera, that would be great too. Perhaps a percentage in the script would make the cone 10% larger than the original camera cone?

Thanks again for your script!!

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 01-29-2013, 08:24 PM   #7
Swordslayer
isKindOf Artist

portfolio
Vojtech Cada
3D generalist
Czech Republic

The second one already does the linking together with automatically changing the cone dimensions based on camera/target distance and change in aspect ratio or fov. Basically, it's just a function and a function call; to make it work on a selection, it would be enough to replace the sample $Camera01 token with $ or selection. However if used on something that's not a camera it would only print some error message in the listener.

I've wrapped it in a simple UI to make it more user friendly, did some basic error-checking and added the cone scaling in percentage:

Code:
try destroyDialog ::cameraPicker catch() rollout cameraPicker "" width:100 ( pickButton pbtPickCamera "Pick Camera" width:80 autoDisplay:true align:#left spinner spnScale "Scale" range:[0, 1e3, 110] fieldWidth:40 align:#left button btnCreate "Create Cone" width:80 height:25 align:#left offset:[0,5] fn setupCameraCone cam scale: = ( local cameraCone = pyramid pos:cam.target.pos dir:cam.dir parent:cam scale:scale local ctrl = float_script() local ctrlPos = position_constraint() ctrl.addObject #cam cam ctrlPos.constraints.appendTarget cam.target 100.0 cameraCone.height.controller = ctrl cameraCone.height.controller.script = "(distance cam.target.pos cam.pos)" cameraCone.width.controller = (ctrl = copy ctrl) cameraCone.width.controller.script += " * tan(cam.fov/2) * 2" cameraCone.depth.controller = (ctrl = copy ctrl) cameraCone.depth.controller.script += " * (renderHeight as float)/ renderWidth" cameraCone.position.controller = ctrlPos cameraCone ) on btnCreate pressed do ( local cam = pbtPickCamera.object if cam == undefined do return messageBox "No object picked." if NOT isKindOf cam Camera do return messageBox "Not a camera." if cam.target == undefined do return messageBox "Not a target camera." setupCameraCone cam scale:([0.01, 0.01, 0.01] * spnScale.value) ) ) createDialog cameraPicker

Old 01-29-2013, 10:32 PM   #8
Mike Truly
Expert
Mike Truly
Truly Media
Crested Butte, CO, USA

Vojtech,

That works great!! Thank you very much for this tool.

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 01-29-2013, 10:51 PM   #9
Mike Truly
Expert
Mike Truly
Truly Media
Crested Butte, CO, USA

Vojtech,

I just ran into an issue with this.

The cone should ideally be created based on the far clipping plane rather than the camera target distance. (Or perhaps the user could type in a distance for the far end of the cone).

For example, if I have an aircraft flying and a camera linked to the aircraft and looking at the aircraft... the camera target is at the aircraft but we want the new culling cone to extend far beyond the aircraft so particle clouds can be created behind the aircraft.

I can make the script work if I temporarily change the camera target distance, but I must save the original target distance and replace it when I'm done creating the new culling cone. It's easier not to mess with the camera target but rather use the far clipping plane.

Thanks again.

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 01-30-2013, 07:24 AM   #10
Swordslayer
isKindOf Artist

portfolio
Vojtech Cada
3D generalist
Czech Republic

Sure, not a problem at all:

Code:
try destroyDialog ::cameraPicker catch() rollout cameraPicker "" width:100 ( pickButton pbtPickCamera "Pick Camera" width:80 autoDisplay:true align:#left spinner spnScale "Scale" range:[0, 1e3, 110] fieldWidth:40 align:#left button btnCreate "Create Cone" width:80 height:25 align:#left offset:[0,5] fn setupCameraCone cam scale: = ( local cameraCone = pyramid pos:cam.target.pos dir:cam.dir parent:cam scale:scale local ctrl = float_script() local ctrlPos = position_script() ctrl.addObject #cam cam ctrlPos.addObject #cam cam cameraCone.height.controller = ctrl cameraCone.height.controller.script = "cam.farclip" cameraCone.width.controller = (ctrl = copy ctrl) cameraCone.width.controller.script += " * tan(cam.fov/2) * 2" cameraCone.depth.controller = (ctrl = copy ctrl) cameraCone.depth.controller.script += " * (renderHeight as float)/ renderWidth" cameraCone.position.controller = ctrlPos cameraCone.position.controller.script = "(cam.pos - cam.dir * cam.farclip) * inverse cam.transform" cameraCone ) on btnCreate pressed do ( local cam = pbtPickCamera.object if cam == undefined do return messageBox "No object picked." if NOT isKindOf cam Camera do return messageBox "Not a camera." setupCameraCone cam scale:([0.01, 0.01, 0.01] * spnScale.value) ) ) createDialog cameraPicker

Old 01-30-2013, 03:34 PM   #11
Mike Truly
Expert
Mike Truly
Truly Media
Crested Butte, CO, USA

Excellent! Thanks again for your work on this... works great!

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 01-30-2013, 03:34 PM   #12
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread