MILA - Shader Revolution by NVIDIA

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2013
How do I install it? I got the files. I installed .dll file in "autoload" shaders folder and downloaded .mi file posted by "moulder6" and put it in include folder of autoload shaders. But I still can't find in max. Do I need any additional .mi files? How do I get GUI in max for this shaders?

Also are these same shaders as iRay layers shader? Do they work similar? I read on nvidia arc forum before that iRay layers shader uses same tech as A&D materials but just redefined in more proper way in GUI? Are there differences between this new shaders and A&D shaders?

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by hotknife: I'd like to try the shaders but after two days nobody seems to be "home" on the forum to authenticate me as a human, despite reregistering and replying to a couple of threads.

I've had a good look around for the download but the nearest I can find is a link to the download, but that's in another thread which the forum won't let me follow because I may not be a human.

Don't 'spouse you could download the shaders and host them on another site so others could have a look please.

[link removed]
My 3dsmax scripts

Last edited by RGhost : 01 January 2013 at 07:14 PM.

01 January 2013
Cheers RGhost very helpful of you.

Quote: Extract the appropriate .dll to ...NVIDIA\shaders_autoload\mentalray\shaders
Extract the .mi from the package to ...NVIDIA\shaders_autoload\mentalray\include
Then go get the gui definition and the phenomenon from the links pointed above, and place them, too in ...NVIDIA\shaders_autoload\mentalray\include

Jigu this from a thread...I'm not sure if the gui definitons are included in the zip from RGhost
that are pointed to here : especially as Max crashes when I touch the shaders.
I can't download them...
http://forum.nvidia-arc.com/showthr...e-SSS2-MR/page5

Last edited by hotknife : 01 January 2013 at 01:19 PM.

01 January 2013
mh... Interesting news, I follow the discussion and when I have time a read.

Thank you for share it.

Matteo

VFX | CG Artist
available for freelance jobs
www.art2upz.com

RnD | Simulation Reel July 2014
3D Generalist Reel Winter 2012

01 January 2013
There's a known problem with the shaders in max.
When max tries to render material previews of the components, it crashes, but this and a lot of other things are described on the ARC forum for those who care to read. For this reasons they (the separate component for layering) are actually hidden by the gui definitions. Complete phenomenon (pre-layered materials, so to speak), though, work perfectly fine. So i'd suggest you to start with the one available in the devoted thread.
Whoever feels like giving the shaders a try, better follows the thread in there. The point of the beta is for ARC to get feedback, etc. So posting here would be pointless at this time.

@RGhost. U may actually want to remove the link to the ftp that you have posted above.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by thorsten hartmann: But what can is say, allways the same. mental ray guys develope a new technolgy and at the next year programming chaos group or the other companies the same with other name and better UI. My proposal for Vray is VRLA.
Do you honestly think that?

Best regards,
Vlado

01 January 2013

Sorry for my question... it's compatible with max 2012 or only with 2013?

Mat

VFX | CG Artist
www.art2upz.com

01 January 2013
Hey guys, when trying to get approved and making a post, people are just leaving very generic responses like "that's cool." it makes it hard to decide who is a robot and who's real. Be specific in your post so it's obvious you're a person. Thanks!

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by MatteoM: Sorry for my question... it's compatible with max 2012 or only with 2013?

Mat

2013 only.

01 January 2013
@vlado: sometimes yes I know that Chaos Group programming great features, but the important features and features for the future, comes most from mental images and now from NVIDIA. You make great Stuff Vlado, and the implementation in 3dsmax is the best, here can NVIDIA learn from you.

mfg
hot chip

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by thorsten hartmann: @vlado: sometimes yes I know that Chaos Group programming great features, but the important features and features for the future, comes most from mental images and now from NVIDIA.
Hm, let me see:
*) physically plausible BRDF materials in V-Ray implemented before mental ray - check;
*) one-pass shader lighting for efficient BRDF layering before mental ray - check;
*) unified sampling system (DMC image sampler) implemented before mental ray - check;
*) proxy objects for direct loading of geometry from disk before mental ray - check;
*) light portals and accurate physical lights implemented before mental ray - check.
*) efficient IBL implemented before mental ray - check;
*) one-pass render elements implemented before mental ray - check;

NVIDIA does make cool stuff, but to say that we copy everything from them borders on insult.

Best regards,
Vlado

01 January 2013
I think there's probably a difference between the availability of the feature in the renderer and when it's exposed in an OEM product is all. That's possibly what Thorsten means.

In which case the list above is mostly true with regards to exposure and partially true when it comes to being a renderer feature.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by moulder6: 2013 only.

ok, thank you

Matteo

VFX | CG Artist
www.art2upz.com

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by Bitter: I think there's probably a difference between the availability of the feature in the renderer and when it's exposed in an OEM product is all. That's possibly what Thorsten means. In which case the list above is mostly true with regards to exposure and partially true when it comes to being a renderer feature.
I'm keeping that in mind. All these features were in V-Ray before they appeared in any form in mental ray. (For what it's worth, some of them are in V-Ray since before mental ray was integrated in 3ds Max at all and that was a *long* time ago.)

Best regards,
Vlado

01 January 2013
I have to agree with Thev. I remember waay back in Vray beta. What was it 2002 or something. Seeing the Vray material. Then up pops Arch Design that uncannily looks allot like Vray mat.

MY HMC

Thread Closed share thread