MILA - Shader Revolution by NVIDIA

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #1
MILA - Shader Revolution by NVIDIA

Hi Guys,

NVIDIA work on a new Shader philosophy => "MILA" Layering Shader library. The Benefit is: Flexibility, Rendertime and Renderquality.

Becareful at this time only Beta Version.

Main Tread: http://forum.nvidia-arc.com/showthr...ayering-library

3dsmax-Tread: http://forum.nvidia-arc.com/showthr...rary-in-3ds-Max

Upload Phenomenons here: http://forum.nvidia-arc.com/showthr...ering-Phenomena we need stuff!

More Information (Maya User) by Remydrh http://elementalray.wordpress.com/

mfg
hot chip

Last edited by thorsten hartmann : 01 January 2013 at 10:07 AM.

Old 01 January 2013   #2
Quote: hotknife, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

This is what I'm getting from the Nvid' page - I have registered and login ??
Do I have to be a certain type of user to read this ?

Old 01 January 2013   #3
hi hotknife,

no, you must only registered, itīs for nothing, no pay.

mfg
hot chip

Old 01 January 2013   #4
Where can i get some more info before i register at yet another site?

*edit: nvm the last link seems to have some info. Didnt check it at first because it sayed mental ray

Old 01 January 2013   #5
Hi CHRiTTeR,

Yes i know "mental ray" But what can is say, allways the same. mental ray guys develope a new technolgy and at the next year programming chaos group or the other companies the same with other name and better UI. My proposal for Vray is VRLA.

PS: The mental ray community for 3dsmax is bigger as for 2-3 years. The Guys are great, Maya-User help Max-User and back. I think we have in few mounth a new Shader Technology without the lame programmer from Autodesk.

mfg
hot chip

Last edited by thorsten hartmann : 01 January 2013 at 04:52 PM.

Old 01 January 2013   #6
Does the MILA shader work in iray?

Old 01 January 2013   #7
That's the world's most annoying Forum - I can't read/find the threads - I'm registered and have been since 2010........I think it's because I've never posted....so can anybody put the shaders up with some info ?? Just wondering..

edit :
Quote: (You must be a registered forum user. Also, the forum does not recognize users automatically for spam reasons, you need to participate by making a post at some point. This also prevents Bots from swarming the board. Once the shader package is linked you may be able to make a post and download it.)

Last edited by hotknife : 01 January 2013 at 11:19 AM.

Old 01 January 2013   #8
Hi vanOostrom,

not for iray at this time. For iray give a better Shader based on BSDF-Layering, the Iray Material Plugin ( Beta ) look here: http://blog.irayrender.com/post/279...ial-for-3ds-max ( itīs a free Blog ! ) MILA is at this time only testing and learning. The next Step from NVIDIA is programming new Light_Shader, that works correct with MILA-Shaders. With old light Shaders is in some situations the calculation not 100% correct.

@hotknife: I hope you find the tread. I like this Forum, no spamming, only hardcore treads, the same as chaos group forum.

mfg
hot chip

Old 01 January 2013   #9
same here ..

Old 01 January 2013   #10
Here info about new shaders (maya ui, max ui not provided by Nvidia):
http://elementalray.wordpress.com/2...i-beta-shaders/
http://elementalray.wordpress.com/2...fers-with-mila/
My 3dsmax scripts

Old 01 January 2013   #11
Looks like it is a combination of the old maya ctrl mix 8 layer & ctrl buffers shaders, I thought Vlado once said that Vray does not support layered shading like Mental Ray does.

Old 01 January 2013   #12
The UI for Maya is generated by the node factory automatically.

Max doesn't have this feature. There are a few snafus with how Max handles shader balls that must be worked out.

Beta mental ray shaders are designed for Standalone, but they understand users of OEM packages will want to try them before integration. There is limited support for that but they're trying to find out how to make it easier.

The layering shaders are the bridge to the nVidia Material Description Language (MDL) used by iray.

Arbitrarily layering BSDFs has been something actively researched by nVidia among other things. Other renderers haven't integrated this layering type of shading for a few different reasons. By now there's not as much of a reason not to use layered shaders other than possible complexity. But the part involving flexibility makes it harder to decide how to expose in renderers, handle passes, and how to make things similar to phenomenon to encapsulate a network.

MDL is a target that is an agnostic description, not necessarily a "language" and can be used by anyone.

Old 01 January 2013   #13
Quote: Looks like it is a combination of the old maya ctrl mix 8 layer & ctrl buffers shaders,

These shaders do not naively layer together. They maintain energy conservation and share information so they do not increase the rendering workload uncecessarily.

They also use importance propagation to work where the effect is most important and decrease the workload in other areas for less visible effects by lowering rays cast or not running a component entirely where the result would not contribute.

Ray count selections in the MILA shaders are maximum rays, not absolute as the renderer may choose to trace fewer rays based on those criteria.

Old 01 January 2013   #14
Thanks for sharing here Thorstan!

I wonder if it supports unified sampling as well? (keeping samples 1 and let unified sampling handle it?) Though I havn't checked shaders yet, so I don't know about options. I will check it out soon.

Old 01 January 2013   #15
I'd like to try the shaders but after two days nobody seems to be "home" on the forum to authenticate me as a human, despite reregistering and replying to a couple of threads.

I've had a good look around for the download but the nearest I can find is a link to the download, but that's in another thread which the forum won't let me follow because I may not be a human.

Don't 'spouse you could download the shaders and host them on another site so others could have a look please.

Thread Closed share thread