Complex rig lag in 2013

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #1
Complex rig lag in 2013

I have a reasonably complex rig. IKFK spine, IKFK Noodle arms, IKFK legs. Fairly standard fair from there.

In 2011 I get about 17 FPS with no lag but in 2013 the first time I move the time slider or randomly after that I get a lag of about five to eight seconds before it will move. From that point on I get about 40 FPS. I'm in shaded view, not realistic, I don't have a skin modifier in the scene and have blown out all the geometry. So just the rig.

From a simple test it appears to be a Nitrous issue since I can switch back to D3D and I don't get a lag.

I thought that Nitrous was supposed to have made this issue better in 2013? I guess this is not the case or is it just my system?

The card in the system is a GT 640 with 3 gigs of ram.

Old 01 January 2013   #2
The "upgraded" Nitrous system will only accelerate performance if you have one animated rig without links to external objects or modifiers.

If you don't the Nitrous mode will be slow as hell. One of the many reasons this thread exists: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...p?f=6&t=1086841

Old 01 January 2013   #3
Hey Paul! Did you try your rig on another computer? If you wish/can I can test the rig on my end.

Old 01 January 2013   #4
Just some questions for completeness:

* is your scene originally coming from a D3D Max setup and you have some adaptive degratation setup there which might kick in ? Does the situation change after you hit "O", which is the standard shortcut for ataptive degradation

* do you you have progressive refinement enabled (apparaently not in shaded mode, but is this hollow cbe at the screen bottom active)?

* are there any textures or materials in the scene? Does the problem change when you apply ONE simple standard material to everything in the scene ?

* do you have any of the new UI elements ( ribbon mainly ) open when the problem occurs. Is the modifier panel visible ?

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

Old 01 January 2013   #5
Thanks guys. I know all the typical issues that slow down Max. It is Nitrous that is doing it. Must be caching every ones in a while. D3D corrects the issues. No Textures, No Skin, No Mesh at all, No Modifier panel, No Windows open of any kind, No Statistics on, still has issues with Nitrous. Change to D3D and all is good.

Old 01 January 2013   #6
What is the latest SP you have installed?

Old 01 January 2013   #7
it is a wild guess - but how about progressive refinement? it probably is not related, but there is the same kind of lag with the vray-framebuffer window when it is enabled - some windows focusing issue.
who knows what else the refinement option could affect..

Old 01 January 2013   #8
Not on and it is the latest SP.

Old 01 January 2013   #9
One thing I recently noticed in Max is that if you have missing assets (in the Asset Tracking) Max can become incredible unresponsive when scrubbing the timeline. Maybe it'll help you somehow .

Old 01 January 2013   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread