Lord of the posts
portfolio
Daniele Casarola
Osimo, Italy

Send a message via MSN to ossosso
Bitmpa --> External Files --> Distribute Render

Hi eveyrone!
I use 3dsmax 2013 with vray.

In my workstation I've add some path for bitmap in "Customize-->Configure User Path-->External Files"

When I launch a normal render all works great, when I launch a distribute render bitmaps aren't found by the nodes.

So I've copied and pasted the "3dsmax.ini" file from my workstation to the nodes.
Launched the render again the problem remains; opened the "3dsmax.ini" on the nodes and I can notice that it was as before, even if I've replaced with mine, the external paths aren't there.

How can I solve?

Thanks a lot!

Old 01-25-2013, 09:58 AM   #2
Aikku
Veteran
portfolio
Ruben Nunez
West Melbourne, Australia

Send a message via MSN to Aikku
You may need to set the bitmaps with UNC paths so that they may be read from another computer. Also make sure that computer has access to the paths.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:46 PM   #3
DanHibiki
Expert

portfolio
- -
Senior 3d Animator
Invivo communications
Richmond Hill, Canada

easiest is to turn on 'include bitmaps' when rendering.

otherwise pick a network path that all the systems can see and make sure all your map paths are pointing there with asset manager.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:14 AM   #4
ossosso
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Daniele Casarola
Osimo, Italy

Send a message via MSN to ossosso
Sorry guys,
I've not explained correctly...

I have a lot of commercial 3dsmax scenes and models. Obviously each .max file has its own bitmap path accordly to the scene/model creator, but I have my own folder organization, so what I did: I've copied ALL commercial textures under just one folder, then I've opened 3dsmax and under "External Files" I've added to the list this my folder.
In this way everytime that I open/merge a commercial model/scene, it's not necessary to re-path each bitmap, I can easily click "Render" , and it works! (in the workstation)

But for some reason it doesn't work for render nodes when I launch distribute render.
So the problem isn't about UNC path or Mounted path...
The problem I suppose is that nodes machines haven't my folder on the "External Files" list... I've tried to add it manually for each node, and also to modify the 3dsmax.ini file... with no success... each time that I launch the render my folder disappears from the list of the nodes and the nodes can't find the textures.

It's curious 'cause few days ago all the system works correctly.. then I've upgrade the renderfarm adding some nodes and a server...

Suggestions?

Old 01-29-2013, 09:14 AM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread