Vertex Numbering Issue

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2013
Vertex Numbering Issue

I've been noticing lately with 3ds Max with a few files I've got some meshes with something like 5 modifiers like editable poly>symmetry>turbosmooth>edit poly>symmetry and after I open the file again something's happened in one of the modifiers where the vertex numbering is screwed up and so the changes I did in the second edit poly are no longer correct. I hadn't had this problem with previous versions (2010) but it's something I've had an issue with both 2012 and 2013. Anyone notice this issue? I use the modifiers this way since I can go back to a lower subdivision level and do more general changes but this ruins the whole mesh.
I'm a bit worried since I've got at least one big project from a while back that has a mesh with something like 20 modifiers on it and I really really can't lose that data.

01 January 2013
Not sure if it's related but I'm seeing similar things in max 2012.
Can you identify which of the modifiers in the stack aren't working as expected?
What we're seeing here sometimes is that some modifiers (mostly FFDs) aren't evaluated every now and then. Sometimes they even won't update when turning them on and off, what's odd is that going to isolation mode and back will fix it.
No problems with loading files looking differently though.

01 January 2013
In this most recent example it looks like it's turbosmooth. I had another a while back that had Shell, and then the edit poly after that was ruined. I think the file I'm concerned about has several turbosmooth modifiers in there too. Never had an issue back then though.

01 January 2013
I think Turbosmooth doesn't pass on a lot of the history that something like mesh smooth does.

However I had the same thing happen with a bend modifier in between some edit polies. For some reason the history kept getting fracked.

01 January 2013
And it's definitely something that didn't happen in previous versions, the file I was working on in Max 2010 had Turbosmooth used several times and never screwed up.

01 January 2013
Now that you mention it, we actually had a Tsmooth mod in the stack just below the FFDs that weren't updating in the viewport...

01 January 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread