Weird segment bug?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2013
Weird segment bug?

Hello CG-mates!

I got a really weird texture bug.

I was modeling just one day nothing wrong. So I quit my 3ds max. And launched it the day after again.

Now things get weird, I tried to create just a regular box, and this is what happend.

Maybe I did a weird key combination or something, but this is really annoying, because normally it would not do anything like this.

Segments are set to 1.
Im using 3ds max 2011(x64)

Greetings, Chris!

01 January 2013
Are you referring to the diagonal lines going from corner to corner on each side? Have you tried turning on Edges Only in the object's properties?

Last edited by Ian31R : 01 January 2013 at 05:57 AM.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by Ian151: Are you referring to the diagonal lines going from corner to corner on each side? Have you tried turning on Edges Only in the object's properties?

Yes the diagonal lines, normally they would make a "cross" or no edges at all, when it is set to 1

And edges only is on.

01 January 2013
Check your viewport driver's preferences.

01 January 2013
What viewport driver are you using? As scrimski mentioned, you might have changed something in your Configure Driver preferences, if you aren't using nitrous. I believe in Direct3D you have the option "Display All Triangle Edges" which would show the diagonal lines.

Also I noticed the weird lines showing through the corners of your box, do you have Backface Cull turned off on your object? That might be something related to your display drivers as well.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by Ian31R: What viewport driver are you using? As scrimski mentioned, you might have changed something in your Configure Driver preferences, if you aren't using nitrous. I believe in Direct3D you have the option "Display All Triangle Edges" which would show the diagonal lines.

Also I noticed the weird lines showing through the corners of your box, do you have Backface Cull turned off on your object? That might be something related to your display drivers as well.

Thanks for your reply,

But where can I find this?

Im not really into this kind of stuff.

01 January 2013
Backface Cull can be found in the objects properties(right click on object).
The viewport driver's preferences can be found in the Customize menu.

You can find all this in the manual which has a search function. Faster than posting and waiting for reply.

01 January 2013
Yeah the manual is helpful, but since he already posted, to elaborate, driver configuration can be found by going to Customize - Preferences - Viewport tab - Configure Driver button. If you are using the Nitrous driver, then the Configure Driver button will be grayed out and unavailable.

01 January 2013
I tried it, but it didnt work, i am using the direct 3d driver on DX10.

But still it makes the triangles.

Also When I extrude an polygon, i still get the triangles.

01 January 2013
Hmmm I'm running out of ideas as to what this could be...Have you tried other display drivers? I forget if Nitrous was even in max 2011... Is this on both editable meshes and polys? Do you have up to date display drivers? Have you tried adjusting driver settings for your gpu? Maybe you could post a scene file? As a last resort you may have to reinstall...

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by Ian31R: Hmmm I'm running out of ideas as to what this could be...Have you tried other display drivers? I forget if Nitrous was even in max 2011... Is this on both editable meshes and polys? Do you have up to date display drivers? Have you tried adjusting driver settings for your gpu? Maybe you could post a scene file? As a last resort you may have to reinstall...

I switched to OPENGL, it is gone now, does it make any difference from the other driver? (Direct 3D)

01 January 2013
Well depending on the type of video card you have, direct3d can be generally faster, especially with larger scenes and you can display more textures and shaders in direct3d. Here is a full description on the different drivers -
http://docs.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/15/...Number=d30e3986

01 January 2013
Thank you for your help.

It works, for now, I will finish off my project and then there is no other way out then reinstall I guess.

Because when I switch back it still displays the lines.

01 January 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread