Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 01-23-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
Tushkan
PRO
Sergey Kleimenichev
Minsk, Belarus

Getting the Skin Pose from Skin.

Hi everyone!

I have a problem with skin modifier. I've got a model which is skinned and animated. The model consists of 2 separate models which are skinned to the same skeleton. I've been asked to combine those 2 objects in one but keep the skinning and animation. What I did is I made copy of those objects, attached them and applied a Skin Wrap. Everything goes fine until this moment.
Now, when I try to convert it to a simple Skin, The model distorts. The problem is that my animation starts from a walk cycle and my new model is in a T-pose. To get rid of it, I need to set the skeleton into a T-pose or get that Skin pose info from those old pieces of my model. Skeleton's bones wheren't frozen prior to animation so Transforms/Rotation to Zero won't work. This means I have to set bones manually to the T-pose (which is a pain in the butt and not accurate enough), or somehow get that T-pose from the old Skins. The second is what I want to do, but I can't find the way... I tried to use Assume Skin Pose from Animation menu, but it does nothing. Maybe I use it wrong, I don't know.
Does anyone know how to achieve this or knows some workaround? I'll be glad to hear any suggestions. And thank you in advance.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
spacefrog
Frog of the posts

Josef Wienerroither
Freelance
Vienna, Austria

Set you sceleton into a T-Pose matching the undeformed "new mesh" T-pose, you can disable the skin modifier temporarily during that bone tweaking...
After that enable the skin modifier again and disable "always deform" checkbox in the Skin's advanced rollout. Enable the checkbox again and Skin will take the mesh's current shape as the default Skin pose for the current bone positioning ( which now is a matching t-pose )

Best is to do this all on frame 0 of course because that'S Skin's default reference frame...
But if that'S not possible you can adjust the reference frame in Skin's advanced rollout too, but i would'nt recommend this ( because you easily forget that later on )

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

Old 01-23-2013, 01:52 PM   #3
Tushkan
PRO
Sergey Kleimenichev
Minsk, Belarus

Thanks for you reply, spacefrog. The trick with changing the "Always Deform" works well. But there is still a problem which I didn't fully describe. I have multiple characters with multiple skeletons. And none of them has a T-pose for a skeleton. So I have to manually adjust all the skeletons to set them into a desired position. It's very time consuming. I want to avoid setting up T-poses. If I disable Skin on both old objects, skin wrap new one and re-enable skins - it looks just perfect. New model wraps on old models while they're T-posed and then distorts with them. But after converting to Skin it resets to T-pose losing the alignment. I still hope to somehow use a Skin Pose (But I simply don't get how it works. There seems to be too little info in a manual about it or I'm just searching in a wrong place) or get that data about Skeleton's T-pose from skins (because IT IS THERE, it's obvious. Old models wouldn't modify properly without knowing that damn skin pose) - anything just to avoid manually setting T-poses...

Old 01-23-2013, 01:52 PM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread