Assigning different texture to each particle

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #1
Assigning different texture to each particle

I'm trying to create a scene with flying pages of a book using a simple particle system.(blizzard or superspray) Each particle shape will be assigned the texture of a different page.

I remember each particle is automatically assigned different material ID's and when a multi sub obj. material is assigned, each sub-material is automatically assigned to a particle.

It seems to work actually showing different colors of materials, but I can't see the textures.

What may I be doing wrong?

Old 01 January 2013   #2
does each material in the SubObject material have a texture?

Also i'd suggest using Particle Flow for more reliable and dynamic results, or just anything but Blizzard. Blizzard sucks.

Old 01 January 2013   #3
Do you have your material mapping set to face mapping or are you using a custom geometry for the pages ?

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

Old 01 January 2013   #4
After some time of testing I ve achieved an acceptable result by assigning standard material to sub-materials and used Face map however I appreciate if you still help. This is not a very much controllable, if only I needed curved papers and increased the face count.

@Dan

Yes. Each sub-object material has a page texture assigned to diffuse channel. Diffuse colors are seen on each particle. I mean ID's work but I couldn't achieve mapping.
By the way I couldn't achieve the effect I want by using particle flow either. I didn't try much though. IVe looked at some operator (material frequency or something like it) with IDs which had 10 materials.

Any simple hint may help.

@spacefrog

Standard face particles are square and I needed a rectangle paper so I used a plane object as particle instance.

Old 01 January 2013   #5
Use Material Dynamic op in pflow with Same as ParticleID selected + multisub material with submats per page. And use Shape Instance to apply your custom shape (with mapping) to particles.

Last edited by 3ak : 01 January 2013 at 04:40 AM.

Old 01 January 2013   #6
Bercon Gradient has an option for random per particle.

Old 01 January 2013   #7
I m working on a similar animation this time with papers flowing out of some kind of machine with rubber cyilinders. (Like an offset printing machine)

At first event, money is moving out of the machine straight, lengthwise, without any rotation, (like bullets out of a gun) however after a certain age lets say, after 10 frames, (after the money moves away from cylinders) I need it to realistically rotate.

I added some forces wind and gravity in the next event, plus random rotation, but just as the age test confirms the requested age, the random rotation of the next event rotates the papers so rapidly. I need the papers to start rotating gradually. Plus papers rotate erratically during rotation due to my "speed space follow" selection in random rotation- which gives the best result.

What to do?

Old 01 January 2013   #8
Use Go to Rotation op (if you're using pflow).

Old 01 January 2013   #9
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread