Baking Old texture to new object

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #1
Baking Old texture to new object

Ok.. It's been a long time since i've had to do anything like this, and I'm kind of drawing a blank.

I have an object, it's a shirt, and is fully textured and uv'd. Except the modeling was kind of sloppy so it was re-done by someone else, and has been unwrapped. What we'd like to do is just transfer the old texture to the new object, obviously the unwraps are quite different. So my thought was to use render to texture and just bake the old texture onto the new object, and have the uvw's re-arrange automatically, I seem to be doing something wrong though and can't get it quite right. Any suggestions?

Old 01 January 2013   #2
Sounds like the right approach except you want to maintain the uvs from the new well unwrapped model, not let it auto unwrap. Make sure it's set to use the correct UV channel (it defaults to 3).

Old 01 January 2013   #3
You just need to do projection mapping and make sure that it's set to use the UV's that it's already created

Old 01 January 2013   #4
Hmm, is there a step I'm missing then, I had set it to use the UVW's of my new object (channel 1) And enabled projection, reset the cage so it wasn't so messy and pushed it out a bit, then did the bake, but all I got was a black render.

Old 01 January 2013   #5
When I get a black projection it's usually because I'm using a vray material while baking with the standard scanline or the opposite.

Also, make sure you don't forget to "pick" the other object in your "Projection" modifier.

Old 01 January 2013   #6
Also, the render screen still renders shadows, the result would be saved without the shadows---that's if you're doing a Diffuse render pass.

Also, you might need to take one of the meshes and use a Push modifier so that the surfaces aren't exactly in the same location, just push it out a bit.

Old 01 January 2013   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread