editable splines to editable poly edge?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2013
editable splines to editable poly edge?

hello, i'm a new member here, and pretty much a newbie when it comes to modelling in 3ds max, and recently i've encountered a problem. i was editing an editable polymesh and wanted to convert one edge to a pretty detailed curve (slice of a circle), so i've created an editable spline with enough segments for it to look smooth and i was wondering if there was any way to implement part of this curve into editable poly and to replace one edge with it.

thanks in advance

01 January 2013
Hi!

This method you are describing does not take into account the overall edge flow of the object. Please provide a reference image or a viewport screenshot to clarify what you are trying to achieve.

01 January 2013
ok, some more information: i've uploaded jpg as an attachment, and i want all red edges to be part of a circle and all green edges to be part of a smaller cirlce. i tried attaching spline to my poly, and moving verticles by hand with swapping set to edge, and it worked but if i wanted to have smoother edge with more verts it would take too much time
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (80.8 KB, 12 views)

01 January 2013
Well, I would add those extra vertexes by hand. Then you could select the vertexes from the smaller circle and apply a spherify modifier. Then repeat for the bigger circle.

Or....

The companion cube design also screams for heavy use of the symmetry-modifier. You could model only a small fraction of what you have here, and apply many symmetry-modifiers on top of each other to get the final mesh. This way you wouldn't have to add so many edges by hand on the round parts, and instead of the spherify modifier, you could just use some circle splines as guides.

01 January 2013
Thumbs up

thanks for advise
initially i made a corner (1/8 of a cube) and copied the rest as instances, but now i've remodeled it with a few stacked symetry modifiers and made only a small triangle (1/48 of a cube) and it was way faster

01 January 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread