Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 01-15-2013, 01:43 PM   #1
Aikku
Veteran
portfolio
Ruben Nunez
West Melbourne, Australia

Send a message via MSN to Aikku
Distributed bucket rendering - Incorrect rendering?

Hi everyone.

So I finally got around to setting up another computer to assist with my rendering. I installed my copy of 3ds Max 2013 and made sure all settings were the same (such as gamma).

After setting everything up, I rendered my scene -> Down from 4 minutes to 1m39s \o/

However, I then looked at the result and realized something wasn't quite right - some buckets were off-coloured.

I tried rendering again, this time watching the renderer window and got this (before I cancelled it):

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this up? I've searched all over Google and while I've found some people experiencing these issues, there weren't any solutions.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:53 PM   #2
thorsten hartmann
hot chip

Thorsten Hartmann
3D Artist
infinity vision
Berlin, Germany

hi

it looks as a FG-Map Problem. Have you test your system with a simple Scene Teapot+Plane+Daylight?

mfg
hot chip

Old 01-15-2013, 02:37 PM   #3
Aikku
Veteran
portfolio
Ruben Nunez

If I do the rendering on either computer by itself (that is, no distributed buckets) the colours are consistent (that is, no 'blocks' are visible). (I'm not sure if that answers your question)

EDIT:
I rendered without FG and you're right: It is indeed a final gather issue (it looks consistent and correct without FG).

Last edited by Aikku : 01-15-2013 at 02:42 PM.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #4
Aikku
Veteran
portfolio
Ruben Nunez

I think I've found a solution, but I'm not sure why it works:

I changed "Project FG Points From Camera Position" to "Project FG Points From Positions Along Camera Path" and there's no more 'blocks'.

EDIT:

Wait, nevermind. I used the wrong camera - 'blocks' are still there.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #5
Aikku
Veteran
portfolio
Ruben Nunez

Turns out I was wrong yet again.

The issue occurs even without FG (it's just more noticeable).

Does anyone have any ideas? I really, really, REALLY would rather not go back to using a single computer for rendering.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:29 PM   #6
Byteman3D
Expert

portfolio
Nezih Kanbur
Graphic Designer
Istanbul, Turkey

Send a message via ICQ to Byteman3D Send a message via MSN to Byteman3D
It may be about maps as well. For some reason I don't know, mental ray used to give "Bitmap not recognized" errors, while it is perfectly recognized when rendered alone. May be due to differences in some configuration, often gif and hdr files (but not limited to those two formats) are not recognized when a slave is added - which means the buckets rendered with that slave will eventually render black - or it's reflections or Indirect Illumination will be different.

I don't have the issue for some time. Try syncing all max folders. Also I ve had issues with Use mental ray map manager option in process options. Not related to our problem but it renders seams of maps in DBR mode. Ive had issues with scanline option turned on. Sometimes I switch to scanline render the back to MR and some problems dissappear.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:46 PM   #7
Aikku
Veteran
portfolio
Ruben Nunez

Well, few objects have actual maps (that is, non-procedural ones) and the ones that do render correctly (for each bucket, anyway), so I don't think it's a map issue.

I also tried playing around with the Use Mentalray Map Manager option, and switching to Scanline Renderer then back to MR, but nothing worked. =/

Old 01-16-2013, 11:47 PM   #8
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread