Lighting Car Headlights with Vray?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #1
Lighting Car Headlights with Vray?

Hi,

Iīm currently working on a couple of packshots for a car manufacturer.
It is my first Car rendering and Iīm not very experienced at lighting.
I got most of the lighting turn out pretty decent, the one thing I just canīt seem to get right is the headlights.
Somehow they just turn out to dark and donīt look right.
The model was provided by the manufacturer, so all I did was put some materials on it (chrome and glass for the headlights) and then when the overall lighting didnīt work well enough for he headlights created some extra vray lights and only included the headlights on those.
But the headlights still look like crap...and apart from experimenting my a** off I have no idea how to handle them better...

Any tutorials or experiences you could share with me?

Old 01 January 2013   #2
Vray light material

Did u apply vray light material to the headlight? I mean there has to be a bulb in the headlight, so apply that on it. Play with the IOR of glass.

Old 01 January 2013   #3
Nah, its a studio setup and the lights shouldnīt be lit. But actually the glass mesh of the headlights seemed to have been the problem. Since the mesh was provided by the client i didnīt check it to closely. Upon doing so I realized that the glass mesh was just single sided, which proved to be a problem. As soon as i applied a shell modifier to it to give it some thickness, well, things started to light up...

Old 01 January 2013   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread