CGTalk > Software > Autodesk 3ds max
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  
Old 01-08-2013, 04:20 PM   #1
John Anderson
Antrim, USA
3DS Max Texture Caching Excessive Data

Hey all,

I'm having a problem where a newly installed 3DS Max on a newly built system is excessively caching textures to a temp folder... in excess of 50GB! Additionally, the playback frame rate using FRAPS is abysmal... at 1 FPS when my four year old notebook plays it through smoothly. The scene that we tested has 14 (4K Tris) skinned to bipeds with 500 frames of animation, default lighting and standard materials with diffuse maps only, 2048x2048 1MB JPEGs. There are only two of these materials in the entire scene. We were testing the scene the other day and noticed that it had been filling a temp folder on the SSD with over 50GB of texture cache data. The friend who built the computer wrote this on the Autodesk AREA forum:

Let me first confess that I’m a complete 3DS novice so I am not familiar with the terminology. I’m observing a massive slowdown and am trying to root cause and eliminate it. After poking around for a few days and searching the web, I’ve yet to find a solution.
I selected components and built a machine specifically for 3DS Max 2013, and installed the trial version. A friend gave me a scene to play with to help me up the learning curve. It’s rather simple and includes some character animation. While rotating the scene around with ‘orbit sub-object’ and either ‘realistic’ or ‘shaded’ I get 35-40 FPS. However, when I hit the ‘Play Animation’ icon, the animation runs at 1 FPS. CPU load is <20%, GPU load is <10%, but disk I/O is half a GIGAByte per second (~500 MBytes/sec) - see the attached capture of disk activity from the Windows 7 Resource Monitor. Given the names of the files, it looks like the software is thrashing a texture cache on disk. However, the CPU has 27 GB of DRAM free and the GPU has nearly 3 GB of GDDR5 free.
After a few ‘Play Animation’ tests, there is an extra 60 GBytes of data in a C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Local\Temp\ogsxxxxxxxx xx directories in the form of hundreds of files. It appears that these are never deleted by 3DS. Not only is this a frame rate killer, it’s using up a lot of disk space and it’s bad for the SSD array’s life span.
How do I fix this?

Has anyone experienced or heard of this problem and how to fix it? I'm at a loss.

Thanks in advance,

Old 01-08-2013, 04:20 PM   #2
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread