Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 01-06-2013, 05:25 PM   #1
LaserCyth
portfolio
None
None, Portugal

An Embarrassing Situation

Hello everyone, and nice meeting you all. I'll try to keep my post short and to-the-point

I have very recently been caught up trying to alter the 3D model files of a certain small-time game, and have taken my first few steps in using 3D modeling software. I had a very limited amount of success in trying to change the torso of a character into a plain white mesh (i.e. managed to keep the game from crashing), but the results so far have been nothing short of horrifying

Anyway, my current predicament is as follows: yesterday, I was fumbling around 3DS Max's settings, trying to stumble upon something that yielded better results than what I currently had. Problem is, at a certain point I became incredibly sleepy, and was slipping in and out of consciousness every 20 or so seconds. I'd wake up, look around, do a click or 2, and pass out again. And of course my memories of what I did were literally nowhere to be seen

And so it was that, without so much as a slight recollection of what I had done, I witnessed in awe as the character's torso had become a lot more human-like than it was previously. I looked and looked but was unable to find what settings I changed, so that I may keep on trying to take steps in the right direction

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Images-
1 & 2 - Abomination
3 & 4 - A step in the right direction?
5 - Just for reference, what a regular torso model looks like
(also, the model in 1 & 2 and model seen in 3 & 4 look identical in 3DS Max)

So here I am before all of you now, in hopes that I can find a way back into the path of enlightenment. I currently have the .max files for both the previously seen 1 & 2 monstrosity and the 3 & 4 significant improvement. And I was wondering, is there any way for me to cross-check between the two models and see which settings aren't identical?

Thank you all in advance for your time

EDIT: I'm terribly to everyone posting, but my posting is subject to moderation since I'm a new member. I tried answering but they haven't been accepted yet

Last edited by LaserCyth : 01-09-2013 at 09:46 PM.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #2
Graeck
CAT User

portfolio
Gregor Weiß
Character TD & Animator
Berlin, Germany

Send a message via ICQ to Graeck
Sorry if I'm too foolish to understand. What is your question now?

Old 01-08-2013, 11:45 AM   #3
LaserCyth
portfolio
None
None, Portugal

Hey there. I was simply wondering whether or not there's a plugin/script/function that could compare two structurally identical objects (same bones, same vertexes/faces, etc), and see which settings, or "secondary" values, aren't the same for both of them. Like Weight, for example

Old 01-08-2013, 12:25 PM   #4
kees
www.lumonix.net

portfolio
Kees Rijnen
Software Developer
Montreal, Canada

I think you should continue to do what worked the first time. Slip in and out of consciousness while modelling and keep tweaking the model...

Old 01-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #5
xXm0RpH3usXx
Veteran
portfolio
-
Near Berlin, Germany

For me it looks as if in the first images there are normal errors.

you see, a face has only one front and one backside. sometimes, when porting models from one format to another these sides get screwed up. i think the black spots are those backsides.

go into the polygon editing mode (either throw on an edit poly mnodifier or rightclick -> convert to editable poly) and press the face selection button. select the wrong faces and search fo "flip" in your board. this will change the "facing" of your normals.
if you have an entire model facing the wrong way (inwards, that is), you can also add a "normals" modifier.
the "unify" function in there doesnt work though, dont get fooled, that its you nnot working right

Could that be possible?

Old 01-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #6
robinb
Expert

Looks more like a skeleton issue than a geometry issue to me one way or another.

Looks like the arms were twisted in the early pics. Maybe the clavicles are rotated wrong and you unrolled them. Or simply toggled always deform off and on on the skin modifier to reassign the weights.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:06 PM   #7
LaserCyth
portfolio
None
None, Portugal

@Grack I'm sorry, I probably didn't explain it very well

What I meant was, I was wondering if anyone knows about a plug-in/script/etc that would compare two structurally identical models (same vertices, same faces, same bones, etc), and check which "secondary" characteristics (like Weight) are different between the two; for example, if Model A = Model B, except that Model B uses a different texture file, the plug-in would let us know that their texture files aren't the same

@kees oh come on, you have to admit it was a hilarious situation

@xXm0RpH3usXx and robinb I've actually solved this problem already. In case you're interested in knowing the cause, what happened was:

- In this game each torso "armor" is actually a whole torso model by itself, together with the armor/clothing bits. See this for clarification

- I wanted to make a base torso model to work from, and chose that particular swimsuit model since it had the least extra bits. However, I imported it with the "Skin Weight" setting turned on. This apparently caused inconsistencies in the weight settings when I deleted the extra polygons, and when I exported it the result was those images in the first post

- All I had to do was disable of the Skin Weight import settings, and when exported it appeared smoothly in the game

That seemed to be the whole problem. I appreciate your aid nonetheless, and thank you for trying to help me solve the issue

At this point, though, I'm just curious about whether or not a plugin like the one I was talking about exists. It would probably help a lot in identifying which mistakes I'll inevitably do as I learn to work with 3D models

Last edited by LaserCyth : 01-10-2013 at 12:37 AM. Reason: My post went through and I wasn't expecting it!

Old 01-09-2013, 10:06 PM   #8
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread