Do you also feel cheated?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #61
Look forward to it Frank.

Cheers

Steve

Old 01 January 2013   #62
Well a bit to far from me, and i am in the middle of a intensive project.

What i find more interesting is how Frank did only post 2 messages in 10 years. I hope you don*t stay this "quiet" in the future! The little sorcerer's apprentice (Ken's avatar) was very busy around here, destroying our deepest fears and rising our faith in our favorite 3d app.

Old 01 January 2013   #63
I must agree with the majority of comments here, and I too sometimes feel cheated.

Since the addition of the slate editor and the graphite modelling tools, not a lot has really been added.

But the most annoying thing for me is when Autodesk put aesthetics above usability. Take the new caddies, what a complete waste of time. OK they look nice with rounded edges, but they are harder to use, read and understand. In previous versions, when you did something like "connect" in edit poly mode, the first figure would be highlighted so you could type the number, then press tab and type again, etc, now you have to click with the mouse. It doesn't sound like much but when you're working with it everyday it soon becomes more than just annoying.

When autodesk bought Mudbox, I was hoping perhaps this would be integrated into Max, much like they did with PolyBoost. Instead they attempt to make it easier from one product to another. Vray incorporated RT when it moved from 1.5 to 2, and that made upgrading a no-brainer for a lot of people. Autodesk should learn from Chaos Group, and start listening to what people want, not what they think people want.

I must admit on more than one occasion I have considered changing to something else, and perhaps it's only the fantastic plugins for Max which keep me here.

Old 01 January 2013   #64
Originally Posted by DeanPunchard: I must admit on more than one occasion I have considered changing to something else, and perhaps it's only the fantastic plugins for Max which keep me here.

Personal opinion :
I used 3ds from the dos days up until 3dsmax v8 , after that I've had enough of both Autodesk and 3dsmax's blackbox way of working. I switched to Houdini and never looked back, not even once. I know H isn't for everyone, but the need for external plugins and scripts have been deprecated in favour of a more generalized approach to cg problem solving. Not to mention the way Sesi listens to their customers.

Threads like this made me realize how glad I am to have learned it.

Last edited by theotheo : 01 January 2013 at 05:11 PM.

Old 01 January 2013   #65
I have had a crack at Houdini in the past and found it quite enjoyable to use. But never had the time to invest fully switching to it. I will be attending the MUG in feb and hopefully will get to chat to a few on this thread.
I think a bit of blood is in the water for Autodesk atm. What with Clarisse, the foundry and c4d getting better every release. I think its time real work got done under the hood, having a look at stuff that does not take 3 months to intergrate but is developed over the span of a year or more and is a game changer like pflow/skin/hair as when they released.
I am still o'k with max atm but I have been learning C4d for the last year and I will take a longer look at Houdini this year too.

MY HMC

Old 01 January 2013   #66
Originally Posted by DaveWortley: We need non-archvis guys to turn up or it'll reinforce the Autodesk belief that they are pushing max to archvis!

I'll be there, pitchfork in hand....

I agree, I will be there also. 3dsMax London is dominated by Archvis, nothing wrong with that I love the work that they do but it would be good to have some diversity.

Old 01 January 2013   #67
Originally Posted by zoubein: ...3dsMax London is dominated by Archvis..

I was not aware about that...but i fully agree:
Non-Vis Max people have to stand up there and raise their claims ...

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

Old 01 January 2013   #68
I've been a couple of times and, yeah it does tend towards that, although they had a cool character animator/rigger a while back.

It pretty much sums up what I think will happen.

Slow development of character animation/vfx (or introduce bugs) features so that those in that particular industry increasingly shift away (or stick with what they have), which skews CIP/User feedback to favour arch-viz, and it just progresses towards that, as scripters/plugin makers who target the VFX side find that it's not just worth developing for Max, unless it's something that arch-viz can use.

I'll be going, but at the moment I think it's a lost cause.

Old 01 January 2013   #69
Originally Posted by delisef: Hi guys,

I hope anyone whom can join me on the 3ds max user group in London, will.

I'll be going over what I have been working on and I think you'll be happy to hear some of the changes.

There is a lot to do and a lot to fix, but I am dedicated to solving as many issues as possible while adding some forward thinking workflows.

-Frank

i'll be there, look forward to it

Old 01 January 2013   #70
Actually there are a few non arch vis studios that use Max as their main program in London like Analog and Nexus, but not as much as I would like.

Old 01 January 2013   #71
Originally Posted by zoubein: Actually there are a few non arch vis studios that use Max as their main program in London like Analog and Nexus, but not as much as I would like.

it would be nice if some game studios came to 3dslondon too, there are plenty in and around london that use 3ds max

Old 01 January 2013   #72
I genuinely don't know how you lot don't go insane using max. Spend the time to look and learn another application if you don't already. This is not Trolling - just a genuine astonishment at how bad Max is to use now. I spent the summer on a TV ad using the latest Max and it's a horrible mish mash of plugins awkward interfaces that clash with each other, hidden settings and and integration.

I've been using Max since v.1 ( 3ds r3!! ) and Have made the switch to Cinema 4D. Looked at maya too, and while much better - I got a much better deal from Maxxon and have had far better support since.

Partly as I jumped ship to OSX when Vista came out and Partly because the kind of work I do requires a faster work flow. One thing Max is not good at.

C4D boots in about 3 seconds - Fully ready to go.
C4D Interface is completely customisable.
I've not found one single thing I cannot do in this than I could in Max. I am sure this is subjective.
Multiple render setups. Instant switching...

Oh and here's the biggy... Multiple scenes open in one go in ONE app with COPY and PASTE between them. How futuristic!

**edit** Even bigger... you can render and carry on working, with little detriment to performance or render time.

The main problem is max is a beast of a application that has sucking Plugin's like a black hole and none seem to work well together. Containers, Slate, Modelling tools. I think that almost all the other pro 3d apps are better these days. The said Max's modelling tools are far superior to C4D and as I stated I have to use it now and again depending on the client but definitely feel that Autodesk have let it slip into disrepair.

Last edited by strangerthings : 01 January 2013 at 03:45 PM.

Old 01 January 2013   #73
Sure it is far from perfect but am I the only one who enjoys using Max?

Old 01 January 2013   #74
Originally Posted by strangerthings: I genuinely don't know how you lot don't go insane using max. Spend the time to look and learn another application if you don't already.

The world doesn`t revolve around you and your problems alone. For me
3dsmax does exactly what i want and need, so why should i invest in learning a different
application? 3dsmax2013 PU6 here is very stable and fast. (Probably because i didn`t hack it to death with 10000 plugins and scripts..).
I don`t think 3dsmax need to work for erveryone. It just have to work for me. That`s why i am
using it.
And why on earth are people constantly trying to convert me to C4D or blender ?
I don`t get it.

Old 01 January 2013   #75
Originally Posted by strangerthings: Oh and here's the biggy... Multiple scenes open in one go in ONE app with COPY and PASTE between them. How futuristic!

I copy and paste objects between max everyday with very simple script.

Thread Closed share thread