Old 12-27-2012, 12:57 PM   #1
Camm
Frequenter
portfolio
Lloyd Chidgzey
3D artist
Perth, Australia

Baseball model

Hello, working on modelling a baseball based on this approach...

http://cgcookie.com/blender/2010/11...ing-a-baseball/

Unless someone can suggest a good approach or a tutorial for max 2013. I'm trying to conform the ball section to a reference sphere so I can create the baseball surface with the correct seam shape. How would I make the baseball conform as I tweak the verts.

I was thinking of using a path deform to loft the seam stitches along a spline, but again I need to conform that spline to the seam shape.

Any help, much appreciated.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:18 PM   #2
StevenL
portfolio
Steven LaBarge
Student
University of Wisconsin Platteville
Platteville, USA

Look of baseball?

First of all, are you trying to achieve the look of a baseball by altering the geometry? Are you using Blender? If so, this is the wrong section of the forum and I have no expertise for you. This section is for Autodesk 3DS Max.

I can say that making bump and texture maps would probably save you a lot of trouble. If you have a program like Photoshop or Gimp, you could paint a pretty realistic looking baseball and wrap it around the geometry.

I hope this helps

Old 01-01-2013, 12:54 PM   #3
Camm
Frequenter
portfolio
Lloyd Chidgzey
3D artist
Perth, Australia

I had to work out the problem, I lofted a high-res stitch section around the slpine and then projected that onto a low poly sphere in topogun. Worked ok for what I needed.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
Camm
Frequenter
portfolio
Lloyd Chidgzey
3D artist
Perth, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenL
First of all, are you trying to achieve the look of a baseball by altering the geometry? Are you using Blender? If so, this is the wrong section of the forum and I have no expertise for you. This section is for Autodesk 3DS Max.

I can say that making bump and texture maps would probably save you a lot of trouble. If you have a program like Photoshop or Gimp, you could paint a pretty realistic looking baseball and wrap it around the geometry.

I hope this helps

Oh yeah, I'm working in max. The tutorial was hard to follow being for Blender and all.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
Camm
Frequenter
portfolio
Lloyd Chidgzey
3D artist
Perth, Australia

This is something I've been doing a lot lately, I lofted the high-res seam and low poly seam together and then detached and modelled the low poly ball with a nice raised seam. Obviously the high-res seam is just as a reference for the normal in topogun so I just export that as it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baseball_lowpoly.jpg (82.6 KB, 10 views)

Old 01-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread