CGTalk > Software > Autodesk 3ds max
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  
Old 12-22-2012, 04:39 PM   #1
Backburner again...

Hi all

Last winter I had tremendious issuses with BB2012, and solved it (after a lot of help from this forum) by installing BB2008. I just replaced my rendernodes with 2 new ones and thought of trying BB2012 just for the fun of it. To my suprise it worked! Amazing... So I now have a Workstation (WS) and 2 rendernodes (RN1 and RN2) running 3dsmax2012 and BB2012, lifes good!?
Weeeeeeeell, the other night I had a big render job and my idea was to let my workstation do some rendering as well. I run Manager from my workstation and usually there is no problem having both Manager and Server running on the same machine but to my surprise Server couldnīt find the Manager on the same machine... *Gaaah* I thought that would be the least of my problems. I have tried with Firewalls off, set permissions on files and folders, run as Administrator, Debug mode etc etc. But with no luck...
Trying to examine the Backburner.xml file I found at least 2 of them on different locations
C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2012 - 64bit\enu\BackBurner\backburner.xml
C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\backburner\backburner.x ml
Iīm starting the Server manually, like START -->Autidesk-->Backburner-->Server

I tried a different approach and used my laptop as Manager, changed the manager IP addresses on the rendernodes to my laptop, they connected fine, BUT not my Workstation... *GAAH*

So bottomline I can use my WS as a manager but canīt use it as a rendernode.

So if no one can give me some help here I probably have to go with the BB2008, but I was thinking perhaps BB2013 is i little more solid than BB2012? Anyone with experience?
Does BB2013 work with 3dsmax2012

Take care
Old 12-23-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
Alright, I guess everyone is celebrating Xmas instead of hanging in the forums which is understandable...
Iīm going back to BB2008.1 canīt put more time into something that should easily work without editing the Registry and what not.

Heard from Mr Johnston, moderator over at Cgarchitect, that he spoke to an Autodesk person that confirmed that Backburner is a discontinued product.
I quote from Mr Johnston:
"On top of that earlier this year Autodesk announced they will no longer spend any resources improving backburner. You can interpret this as them giving you the middle finger and telling you to go find a third party option which I did. Can you tell I'm pi$$ed!"

Would it be to much to ask from Autodesk with ALL of the resources it possess to simply release a tool/stand-alone Backburner that completely removes BB2012, and installs BB2008.1. Itīs a lot of hassle and time consuming for us with no or little time to uninstall and manually delete folders that aren't deleted in the uninstall process on every computer!

Merry Xmas everybody
Old 12-24-2012, 08:20 AM   #3
I like onions
Alexander Lehmann
Vancouver, Canada
Send a message via ICQ to lehmi
I've had my fair share if backburner problems.

One thing you might have already tried but didn't mention in your thread.

Sometimes switching from automatic search to assigning the IP by hand solves some problems. But I guess you already tried that.

Other than this. I have a pc (using bb 2008 I think) if I install all updates for win7 64bit - it will not render with backburner anymore. Not sure which side to blame :( Only a fresh install of win7 will make this machine be able to render.

I hope you can figure it out or switch back to 2008 without problems.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #4
Hi Alexander!

Yeah, Iīm far from being alone and I canīt understand how this can be ignored release after release!
All of my machines have static IPīs and itīs a simple network setup.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread