.dds mipmap viewport render in max.. how?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2012
.dds mipmap viewport render in max.. how?

I am quite confused.. I have a mipmap http://www.crazybump.com/MipmapTest.dds.zip
that i took from http://www.polycount.com/forum/archi...p/t-60842.html
the concept is that the colours will change with the distance from the camera according to the mip map level(?)..
i am trying to render it in viewport and render it as image through mental ray.. It wont work.. it wont change its mip map thingie in viewport or render.. I changed to d3d, opengl same issue..
I made mip map look at linear nearer no change..
I need some help please i have been searching all day to no avail.. please help..
am using 3ds max on a macbook pro 15 2011(late) through bootcamp.. ati6700 HD intel i7

12 December 2012
Your dds file looks like a large red image that's all. There are DDS files in 3DSMAX\MAPS\MENTAL_MILL folder. Try with them.

Place one of them on the diffuse channel of an arch design material.
If you're trying reflection maps -place in reflectivity maps not environment slot- but change the mapping mode from EXplicit to Spherical Environment
You can also try bump maps. There is a normal bump dds file. Place it in bump slot with "normal bump" map.

Now lastly, press and hold Show map in Viewport button -It will open a secondary button with a blue checker icon. Reveal and Press the button. wait! Voila

You have to see beautiful bumps and reflections etc.

You can use it in render,too- both with MRay and IRay

There is also A direct3D lightmap and metal bump shader available when viewport mode is set to Direct3D. You can find them on DirectX Manager Rollout of most materials.

01 January 2013
Byteman3D, if you load the dds into Photoshop and check Load MipMaps, you'll see it's not just red, it's a different colour for each mip level. It's just red at the highest mip level.

This will only work with Direct X for a start, not with a renderer like Mental Ray.

And anyway at some stage it's been broken in Max. I used to have a shader in Max 2009 or something that loaded a predefined dds with mips in different colours for checking texture res (I imagine the Polycount thread was about this). But since Max 2011/2012 it no longer works. It seems Max now discards the mips saved into a DDS and re-generates them at load time. Which makes this technique useless.

I don't know why it was changed and IMO shouldn't have been.

01 January 2013
Thank God!! Someone!! robinb Its awesome to find someone who knows what i am talking about! Is there any work around this? I tried unreal engine even that seems to have removed this from their system...

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by deohboeh: Thank God!! Someone!! robinb Its awesome to find someone who knows what i am talking about! Is there any work around this? I tried unreal engine even that seems to have removed this from their system...

Heh. Not surprising that it's something not a lot of people understand. It's quite a specific game related thing.

And I'm afraid I'm not aware of a work around. You can try reporting it as a bug. I did already, but the more reports, the more likely it is to get fixed. Although as we're two of the only people who even know what it is, it's a bit unlikely they'll get enough bug reports to make it worth them fixing it.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by robinb: Heh. Not surprising that it's something not a lot of people understand. It's quite a specific game related thing.

And I'm afraid I'm not aware of a work around. You can try reporting it as a bug. I did already, but the more reports, the more likely it is to get fixed. Although as we're two of the only people who even know what it is, it's a bit unlikely they'll get enough bug reports to make it worth them fixing it.

Thanks a lot i will keep trying till I find something that works.. I am also going to report this to autodesk hoping they bring it back... Good to know there is at least someone else out there fighting for the cause!

01 January 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread