Old 12-09-2012, 04:12 PM   #1
Corr500
portfolio
Aaron Corr
Student
Northumbria University
Newcastle, United Kingdom

Why use Mental Ray??

Hey all! Currently researching for a univeristy assignment and it is mainly architecure based, now when rendering out Architecural based images, studios/people tend to use Mental Ray alot, and was just wondering if anyone could enlighten me to why this is? Been doing a bit of research, but unable to find a real definivtive answers.

Cheers,
Aaron

Old 12-10-2012, 12:56 PM   #2
saycon2000
PRO

portfolio
Seifoo Max
Algeria

- well it's free in max for network rendering and share the same The Autodesk Material Library !

Quote:
The Autodesk Material Library is a set of mental ray material libraries based on manufacturing-supplied data and professional images. This includes building and design materials such as professional wall paint with glossy or matte finishes, solid glass, and concrete. These materials provide a convenient way of creating realistic textures.

Quote:
They correspond to Autodesk Revit materials, as well as materials in AutoCAD and Autodesk Inventor, so they provide a way to share surface and material information if you also use those applications.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:24 PM   #3
Byteman3D
Expert

portfolio
Nezih Kanbur
Graphic Designer
Istanbul, Turkey

Send a message via ICQ to Byteman3D Send a message via MSN to Byteman3D
I personally find no equivalent to the high quality sampling algorithm of mental ray. This shows itself at the very detail of the images, on some certain looking angles; however even the ordinary eye sees the flickering in antialiasing samples of many renderers or bad filtering effects in textures, especially when output to video. Contrast and color quality of images is also a second reason to choose Mental ray.
Nevertheless, a new user must be warned about serious stability issues, which I believe to be caused by bad implementation. It renders the software a hard to cope one. I feel that it has become worse after Nvidia got hands on Mental ray about 5 years ago.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:31 PM   #4
vlad
Expert

In archviz, Vray is without much doubt the overwhelming favorite, despite the fact that MentalRay comes with Max.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #5
thorsten hartmann
hot chip

Thorsten Hartmann
3D Artist
infinity vision
Berlin, Germany

@Byteman3d: If you find Artifacs, Flickering etc. in Renderings (mray or vray), it is not the Render Engine, the problem is the Artist.

In 12 Days is Christmas, can we close the thread?

mfg
hot chip

Old 12-10-2012, 05:10 PM   #6
darthviper107
Expert

portfolio
Zachary Brackin
3D Artist
Precocity LLC
Dallas, USA

Mental Ray can get good quality, but when you end up wanting all the features, GI, DOF, motion blur whatever, it's just too slow. If I could I would probably switch to V-ray since it does those things much faster, but Mental Ray has the advantage of being included in 3ds Max already which is why I use it.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:10 PM   #7
Byteman3D
Expert

portfolio
Nezih Kanbur
Graphic Designer
Istanbul, Turkey

Send a message via ICQ to Byteman3D Send a message via MSN to Byteman3D
Flickering might refer to a large list of visual artifacts, including but not limited to those that a Programmer's eye catches.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:37 PM   #8
Corr500
portfolio
Aaron Corr
Student
Northumbria University

Ah OK! Was thinking myself the main reasoning was due to it being included within 3Ds Max, but wanted other opinions aswel

Appreciate the help guys!
Thanks

Old 12-10-2012, 06:18 PM   #9
JokerMartini
Expert

portfolio
John Martini
CG Supervisor, 3D, Maxscript, VFX
Ingenuity Engine
Los Angeles, USA

Send a message via AIM to JokerMartini
If you plan on wanting to do pipeline production renderings like VFX, Film, or commercial. You can 9/10 times forget entirely about mental ray as it brings very little to the table other than SSS. Even then Vray has the latest version of its Fast SSS 2 which is pretty solid.

If you want nice renders for a magazine spread or something you can use Mental Ray for that, but even then you setup a scene and hit render.....then go on vacation and come back about a day or two later and you'll hopefully have what you are looking for. If you use Vray you can just have and milkshake you're render is done and ready to go.

The biggest benefit of Vray is that it renders much faster than MenalRay which allows the artist to make many more iterations which ultimately results and a much better looking render and quicker.
www.JokerMartini.com

Old 12-10-2012, 06:27 PM   #10
Corr500
portfolio
Aaron Corr
Student
Northumbria University

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerMartini
If you plan on wanting to do pipeline production renderings like VFX, Film, or commercial. You can 9/10 times forget entirely about mental ray as it brings very little to the table other than SSS. Even then Vray has the latest version of its Fast SSS 2 which is pretty solid.

If you want nice renders for a magazine spread or something you can use Mental Ray for that, but even then you setup a scene and hit render.....then go on vacation and come back about a day or two later and you'll hopefully have what you are looking for. If you use Vray you can just have and milkshake you're render is done and ready to go.

The biggest benefit of Vray is that it renders much faster than MenalRay which allows the artist to make many more iterations which ultimately results and a much better looking render and quicker.

Ah Joker, brilliant reply thanks! This makes sense, I have basic understanding of 3Ds max and rendering, being a blender head I haven't went into using other rendering engines. My lecturers currently push me towards 3Ds Max, purely due to it having Mental Ray. So I shall now have to look into Vray a bit more.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:32 PM   #11
JokerMartini
Expert

portfolio
John Martini
CG Supervisor, 3D, Maxscript, VFX
Ingenuity Engine
Los Angeles, USA

Send a message via AIM to JokerMartini
No problem.

I used to be a full fledged MentalRay user but over the past few years vRay has really caught up and surpassed MentalRay. The biggest benefit is you can render depth of field, motion blur, GI and (Lens Distortion using Vray Camera only) all with Vray which helps achieve more realistic looks.
www.JokerMartini.com

Old 12-10-2012, 06:36 PM   #12
darthviper107
Expert

portfolio
Zachary Brackin
3D Artist
Precocity LLC
Dallas, USA

That is one thing--the Mental Ray SSS shader is a bit better, one reason why to use it especially since it's configured specially for skin

Old 12-10-2012, 07:01 PM   #13
stefan
Expert

portfolio
Stefan Gura
bratislava, Slovakia

Because there is no Arnold for max

Last edited by stefan : 12-11-2012 at 02:31 AM.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:17 PM   #14
3DMadness
Expert

portfolio
Flávio Andaló
Teacher
UFSC
Florianópolis, Brazil

Send a message via MSN to 3DMadness
Talking

Because some people like to suffer.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:48 PM   #15