Why use Mental Ray??

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2012
Why use Mental Ray??

Hey all! Currently researching for a univeristy assignment and it is mainly architecure based, now when rendering out Architecural based images, studios/people tend to use Mental Ray alot, and was just wondering if anyone could enlighten me to why this is? Been doing a bit of research, but unable to find a real definivtive answers.

Cheers,
Aaron

12 December 2012
- well it's free in max for network rendering and share the same The Autodesk Material Library !

Quote: The Autodesk Material Library is a set of mental ray material libraries based on manufacturing-supplied data and professional images. This includes building and design materials such as professional wall paint with glossy or matte finishes, solid glass, and concrete. These materials provide a convenient way of creating realistic textures.

Quote: They correspond to Autodesk Revit materials, as well as materials in AutoCAD and Autodesk Inventor, so they provide a way to share surface and material information if you also use those applications.

12 December 2012
I personally find no equivalent to the high quality sampling algorithm of mental ray. This shows itself at the very detail of the images, on some certain looking angles; however even the ordinary eye sees the flickering in antialiasing samples of many renderers or bad filtering effects in textures, especially when output to video. Contrast and color quality of images is also a second reason to choose Mental ray.
Nevertheless, a new user must be warned about serious stability issues, which I believe to be caused by bad implementation. It renders the software a hard to cope one. I feel that it has become worse after Nvidia got hands on Mental ray about 5 years ago.

12 December 2012
In archviz, Vray is without much doubt the overwhelming favorite, despite the fact that MentalRay comes with Max.

12 December 2012
@Byteman3d: If you find Artifacs, Flickering etc. in Renderings (mray or vray), it is not the Render Engine, the problem is the Artist.

In 12 Days is Christmas, can we close the thread?

mfg
hot chip

12 December 2012
Mental Ray can get good quality, but when you end up wanting all the features, GI, DOF, motion blur whatever, it's just too slow. If I could I would probably switch to V-ray since it does those things much faster, but Mental Ray has the advantage of being included in 3ds Max already which is why I use it.

12 December 2012
Flickering might refer to a large list of visual artifacts, including but not limited to those that a Programmer's eye catches.

12 December 2012
Ah OK! Was thinking myself the main reasoning was due to it being included within 3Ds Max, but wanted other opinions aswel

Appreciate the help guys!
Thanks

12 December 2012
If you plan on wanting to do pipeline production renderings like VFX, Film, or commercial. You can 9/10 times forget entirely about mental ray as it brings very little to the table other than SSS. Even then Vray has the latest version of its Fast SSS 2 which is pretty solid.

If you want nice renders for a magazine spread or something you can use Mental Ray for that, but even then you setup a scene and hit render.....then go on vacation and come back about a day or two later and you'll hopefully have what you are looking for. If you use Vray you can just have and milkshake you're render is done and ready to go.

The biggest benefit of Vray is that it renders much faster than MenalRay which allows the artist to make many more iterations which ultimately results and a much better looking render and quicker.
www.JokerMartini.com

12 December 2012
Originally Posted by JokerMartini: If you plan on wanting to do pipeline production renderings like VFX, Film, or commercial. You can 9/10 times forget entirely about mental ray as it brings very little to the table other than SSS. Even then Vray has the latest version of its Fast SSS 2 which is pretty solid.

If you want nice renders for a magazine spread or something you can use Mental Ray for that, but even then you setup a scene and hit render.....then go on vacation and come back about a day or two later and you'll hopefully have what you are looking for. If you use Vray you can just have and milkshake you're render is done and ready to go.

The biggest benefit of Vray is that it renders much faster than MenalRay which allows the artist to make many more iterations which ultimately results and a much better looking render and quicker.

Ah Joker, brilliant reply thanks! This makes sense, I have basic understanding of 3Ds max and rendering, being a blender head I haven't went into using other rendering engines. My lecturers currently push me towards 3Ds Max, purely due to it having Mental Ray. So I shall now have to look into Vray a bit more.

12 December 2012
No problem.

I used to be a full fledged MentalRay user but over the past few years vRay has really caught up and surpassed MentalRay. The biggest benefit is you can render depth of field, motion blur, GI and (Lens Distortion using Vray Camera only) all with Vray which helps achieve more realistic looks.
www.JokerMartini.com

12 December 2012
That is one thing--the Mental Ray SSS shader is a bit better, one reason why to use it especially since it's configured specially for skin

12 December 2012
Because there is no Arnold for max

Last edited by stefan : 12 December 2012 at 02:31 AM.

12 December 2012
Talking

Because some people like to suffer.

Thread Closed share thread