Old 12-08-2012, 02:33 PM   #1
OneGunSalute
portfolio
Richard Davenport
urdeadonline.com
Rome, USA

3DS Max to Roadkill to Photoshop

Hello everyone,

I'm very new to both 3DS Max and Roadkill. I'm trying to start out with simple objects so that I can get the hang of things and progress. I'm currently working as a terrain builder for a game and I'd like to expand my usefulness by being able to create my own models outside of the engine we have.

Now that all of that backstory is out of the way, on to my question:

I've created an object I want to texture, I've then taken that object and exported it as an .obj file which I then imported into Roadkill where I marked the seams and unwrapped it into a UV map. That's pretty much where I get stuck. I assume I need to open my UV map file (which is still an .obj file) back in 3DS Max and then somehow convert that to either a .jpg or some other Photoshop compatible file type. Maybe I'm not using proper search parameters or something but nothing I've located has been able to tell me how to do this.

Thank you in advance for your help

Old 12-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #2
robinb
Expert

You don't HAVE to use Roadkill for that. Unwrap UVW will do it inside max. That will also allow you to export the UV layout to an image to import to Photoshop. In the Unwrap edit window you go to Tools> Render UVW template.

I'm sure you can do the same in roadkill, but I don't know how. Look for an option to export the UV layout.

I'd recommend at least looking at the built in tools before looking at third party replacements. It should be simpler to learn.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #3
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread