3dhippie stereocam v2

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2012
3dhippie stereocam v2

Hi everyone

I'd like to announce that 3dhippie stereocam v2.0 was released yesterday. It's a major update to my stereoscopic camera plugin for 3ds Max. It comes with a HUGE set of new and advanced features.

Watch a demonstration on vimeo:

Download the free version and get more information on my blog. www.3dhippie.de/stereocam-v2.html

I also want to say thank you for all the support on cgtalk. Releasing this wouldn't have been possible without your help.

David

12 December 2012
Go Hippie!

David, as someone who uses your stereo rig every single day, I thank you very much! I'm looking forward to trying out this new version!

12 December 2012
Hi Matt. I am sure you will love the new version.

I see you're living in LA, what company do you work for?

12 December 2012
Hi David,

I work for a production company here, but they don't do any work in stereoscopic, or with Max, for that matter.

I'm just trying to learn both skills, on my own. Over the last few years, I fell in love with stereo 3D, and am trying to create my own feature-length 3D documentary, on the science of consciousness.

Along the path to learning how to shoot and edit stereo footage, I also began to explore Max in context of stereo work, and for that, of course, I needed your rig. Whether I'm trying to learn particle flow or Rayfire, I render everything out, using the 3DHippie rig. I started with the previous script in late 2011, and have been working with your beta of 2.0 for the last couple months. I'm looking forward to working with the full release of 2.0. I'm going to upgrade to Pro before the Friday cut-off date!

12 December 2012
Hey David,

Maybe you can help me out with the install.

I just uninstalled the Beta and installed the full release of 2.0, fine. However, when I try to run one of my earlier projects, that had the Beta version of 2.0, I get a series of error messages, mostly having to do with 3 missing DLLs. And then, a script controller panel has opened.

Is that to be expected? If so, can I just replace the old stereocam with a new one, and have it keep all the old IA, etc. settings? I saw on your tutorial that there is a macro to replace a camera, but in your tutorial, it was a pre-assigned button, but I don't know where to find it on the new stereocam.

Any guidance you can give would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

-matt faw

12 December 2012
Hi Matt

Your feature-length 3d documentary sounds like an exciting project.

About the install. Unfortunately the beta and the current release are no longer compatible. So scenes with a beta stereocam will indeed through a lot of errors. This is due to some rather dramatic changes within the last weeks. I will adjust the convert macro to work with old versions.

12 December 2012
Thanks, Dave, I'm very grateful.

03 March 2013

I have added a feature called the advanced frustrum to the 3dhippie stereocam:. I think it's really cool. You can grab the planes and move them to any location. The default behaviour will adjust the pixel parallax values. Holding down shift will move the entire frustrum (or just the screenplane and not the frustrum). It's also possible to adjust the interaxial and see the effect on the pixel values of nearplane and farplane. A workflow could be, move the planes to include the entire scene, scale down the interaxial until a nice pair of values appear. readjust the screenplane holding down shift. Make previews and enjoy.

The pro version is even more comfortable. Holding down control will affect the interaxial and zero parallax but not the pixel values. This is quite useful because it enables you to control the depth of the image very intuitively. Just grab the farplane (with it's pixel parallax value already set) and move it to the background. Or grab the nearplane and move it to the nearest object. The stereoscopic depth will match up perfectly. And this can be animated of course.

There's a lengthier explanation of all new functions for anyone interested on vimeo:

Hope to got you interested. Any positive or critical comments are welcome :-).

03 March 2013
This is awesome, congratulations! I just wish I had this two years ago when I did my first stereo gig... Again, looks brilliant!
http://www.ycdivfx.com

03 March 2013
Thanks Kameleon. Hopefully you can use it in future stereo gigs ;-)

03 March 2013
It seems this is nice stereo camera's script! I will go to try free version for my new animation. Before I used Louis Marcoux's StereoCam Modifier it's quite nice.

My 3dsmax scripts

03 March 2013
Hi Rghost. I am happy to hear you'll be using it on your next animation. If you encounter any problems please let me know.

03 March 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread