put normal map in metallic paint material

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2012
put normal map in metallic paint material

can i and if so how or where, I tried adjusting it in the slate editor but i'm not so good in it and i can't find any tutorial on how to setup the metallic paint so it has a normal map slot...

i tried faking the metallic paint material with a standard one but that just doesn't look as good...

anyway thanks for any tips

11 November 2012
In the 'maps' rollout of your material click the empty slot next to 'bump'. The material/map browser floating dialogue will appear. Now find the 'normal bump' map in the list and open that. Now apply your texture in the appropriate slot.

11 November 2012
but the metallic paint shader/material doesn't have a maps roll out, thats what i was asking if i can somehow add a normal map to that one?

11 November 2012
Sorry, didn't know you were using the AD shader. To be honest, I wouldn't bother with those shaders. Use an Arch&Design. Far superior. I don't even think you can map those AD ahaders.

11 November 2012
Hello Jethro,
a work-around might do the trick. Just use the "mentalray"-material and put the "metallic paint shader" ("car paint shader") in the diffuse slot. The reason why u do this is: the mentalray-material has a bump slot. Just plug a "bump(3dsmax)" in it (with the map of your choice applied) and there you go.
Depending on your rendersetting you may have to ad a map for photons. When i tested this i didn▀t need to care about the shadow-slot. Just play with it!
Hope this halps a bit
Greetings !
Stephan

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by reischer: Hello Jethro,
a work-around might do the trick. Just use the "mentalray"-material and put the "metallic paint shader" ("car paint shader") in the diffuse slot. The reason why u do this is: the mentalray-material has a bump slot. Just plug a "bump(3dsmax)" in it (with the map of your choice applied) and there you go.
Depending on your rendersetting you may have to ad a map for photons. When i tested this i didn▀t need to care about the shadow-slot. Just play with it!
Hope this halps a bit
Greetings !
Stephan

The MR shader is legacy and pretty much obselete. The arch&design material was specifically built so that you don't have to build the shader from scratch using phenomenon as it's all done 'under the hood' It's quite easy to build a metallic paint shader using arch&design:

Just use a blend material with(which will automatically use an additive blend) with arch&design material set up as a metal in the base layer with glossy reflections, and a reflective 'clear coat' arch&design on top with non-glossy reflections.

11 November 2012
thanks guys I'll try both

11 November 2012
this one is the metallic paint where i can't get a bump map in, i like the reflection here because the MP material has this secondary color option.

this is the archg& design chrome with two diff maps applied, is the secondary color map what the secondary color is to the metallic paint?

I didn't get the metallic paint mat into the mental ray material? it only takes maps not materials i think...

also the desert and the spider (which got some strange artifacts since i've put fur on it, some parts seem to get rendered invisible, small part of it's butt and some leg endings) still need work but i want to get the mask right first.

11 November 2012
Hi Jister,

workflow is:

- use mental ray material.
- put in surface slot a "material to shader" map
- put in "material to shader" the Material what you need.
- put in Bump Slot adsk_utility_Bump ( must you unhidden the Shader)

look at the attachment.

if you want use original TH-Metallic Paint (work with Render Elements), download Shader Utilities Free Version. http://www.infinity-vision.de/page/su_free_version

PS: Shader Utilities unhidden all important Shader.

mfg
hot chip
Attached Images
File Type: png carpaint_bump.png (24.9 KB, 22 views)

11 November 2012
wow thanks, will check that asap!

any idea whats happening with the legs, seems where ever they intersect with the sand displacement map they get a bit strange transparent?

11 November 2012
hi jister,

at your displacement problem.

- the Bitmap Blurring is important. I use Blur=1.0 and Blur_Amount=0,005 or 0,01

Than is important Anti Alaising.

Samples min = 4, max = 16 / Spatial Contrast RGBA = 0,05 / Filter=Triangle

or

Unified Sampling look here: http://www.infinity-vision.de/blog/...g-at-3dsmax2013

mfg
hot chip

Last edited by thorsten hartmann : 11 November 2012 at 09:57 AM.

11 November 2012
thanks again for your quick response!
lots of info here to absorb ;-)

11 November 2012
ok i'm quite happy with the material like it is now, i did go with the arch & deisgn one.

and the displacment of the sand texture looks better with the blur and so. but i can't get rid of the wierd rendering of the spider legs? well i can by lifting them just a bit, but i'm just wondering why this happens...

11 November 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread