Vray bump material not in 3ds Max?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2012
Vray bump material not in 3ds Max?

I am in the process of moving completely from MR to Vray and I'm very happy so far. However, I wondered why there is no vraybumpmtl in Max and there is in Maya?

So let's say I create a vray blend mat with a metal shader and a rusted metal shader with a custom mask. I could then drop the blend mat into the vray bump mtl and use the same mask to drive a bump effect where the rust transitions.

I've tried other workarounds but with limited success. Any idea why this material is in Maya and not in Max?? Anyone using a workaround for this that they have had success in?

Cheers.

11 November 2012
You can use the NormalBump map which is in 3dsmax. Also there is a VrayNormals map but I don't think this is what you want.

11 November 2012
No Dave, I was hoping for a material-based solution rather than map-based. The mask will effectively drive a global material bump for a particular effect rather than a simple additive normalbump/bump setup. Something similar to the old MR material/displacement utility combiner shaders.

11 November 2012
You can do what you want with the blur Utility Material. You can download the blurbeta pack from maxplugin.de. For me it worked!

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by razvanM: You can do what you want with the blur Utility Material. You can download the blurbeta pack from maxplugin.de. For me it worked!

Thanks, I unrar'd the pack but utility material isn't in it. There are 54 plugs in the archive and the utility material docs are there but no plugin file. are you sure the utility material was recompiled for 2013?

11 November 2012
Yes, it is for 2013. http://www.maxplugins.de/max2013.ph...=96&sort=Author Scroll down and you'll see it.

11 November 2012
Yes, I downloaded and it contains the entire blurbeta plugin collection minus the utility material, even though the link states that it is, in fact, the utility material. It seems all the blur link's point directly to the entire collection rather than the single plugin listed. Unfortunately, the one I need is omitted.

have you got the utility material .dlt file for 2013?

Last edited by musashidan : 11 November 2012 at 04:04 PM.

11 November 2012
I think all you have to do is just install the pack and you will find the Utility Material in the Standard Library. At least this is what I did. Maybe it is included with another name, I don't know. I have it in my library, but, as you said, I haven't found a specific "utility material.dlt". So, try just installing the blurbeta plugins, and it should work.

11 November 2012
I don't see it in my 2012 zip but I see it in max. It could be 'MtlReq.dlt' but I'm not sure.
Don't forget to put 'blurlib.dlu' in your 'stdplugs' folder as well else the plugins will fail to load.

11 November 2012
that's great lads. It is in there undeed. I just didn't want to have to install 50 odd plugs to use one.

cheers.

11 November 2012
Perfect! Just tested it on a blend material I setup and it's exactly what I was looking for.

thanks again.

I still think it's weird that Maya has the vraybumpmtl built in and max dosn't; considering vray max is the original vray grandfather....

Last edited by musashidan : 11 November 2012 at 09:02 PM.

11 November 2012
And I think its weird MR had a shader to do this, and then they removed it from the UI for no reason Seriously, wish all renderers had this ability, it is so useful.

- Neil

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by soulburn3d: And I think its weird MR had a shader to do this, and then they removed it from the UI for no reason Seriously, wish all renderers had this ability, it is so useful.

- Neil

Yes, this was one of the idiosyncrasies of MR that I really never understood. All the unhiding of the 'mystery' shaders and then removing the combiner shaders for no apparent reason.....
And agreed wholeheartedly, Neil, not having a shader like this in any renderer is nonsensical, and limiting.

Now all I need is a warp texture map workflow for vray and I'm happy.

11 November 2012
I think the standard warp texture plugin will work with vray, as far as I know it's only incompatible with mr.

- Neil

11 November 2012
Neil, do you know if it's working in 2013? It seems it hasn't been updated in years.

Thread Closed share thread