IRAY and Quadro 4000 for 3ds Max 2013 PU5

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2012   #1
IRAY and Quadro 4000 for 3ds Max 2013 PU6 [Solved]

Hi I have 3ds max 2013 and a Quadro 4000 with 307.32 drivers

Whenever I try to use IRAY I get this error and it doesn't use the cuda cores.

IRAY 0.16 359 MB error: cannot get memory statistics from device
IRAY 0.16 359 MB error: not enough memory on device 0, not using this device for rendering

It is really bizarre. I updated the drivers and tried the performance drivers too. with no luck

Rest of specs is 16gb of RAM and i7 at 3.6ghz

Last edited by alexnode : 11 November 2012 at 06:49 PM. Reason: [Solved]

Old 11 November 2012   #2
Looks like your scene is exceeding the memory amount on your GPU?

If that's not it, then try restarting your workstation. I've had that happen to mine a couple of times when an iray/max scene crashed. A reboot helped in my situation at least.

Last edited by JeffPatton : 11 November 2012 at 04:45 PM.

Old 11 November 2012   #3
Thanks for the reply, but it happens with an empty scene just two boxes while the Quadro 4000 has 2gb memory. I rebooted, tried latest drivers etc. I believe it is a bug but I wanted to see if there is any solution out there, because it will take months for autodesk to fix it .

Old 11 November 2012   #4
I'm not aware of any issues with iray in 2013 that would cause this. Just for kicks, try my demo scene here: http://jeffpatton.net/2012/07/iray-studio-scene-2/ to see if it renders. It was created in 3ds Max 2013 and renders fine here.

NOTE: I haven't updated to the latest NVIDIA drivers, I'm still using 306.79 if that helps.

Old 11 November 2012   #5
The scene took 14:43 min to render and 2:46 min to translate, Great materials by the way!

There is no problem rendering the scene since if it doesn't use cuda devices it rolls back to cpu... it doesn't crash. But my quadro is totally wasted !
Do you have the same card on windows7 64?

If it is only me I might have to reinstall max and see how it goes.

Old 11 November 2012   #6
Originally Posted by alexnode: Do you have the same card on windows7 64?
I'm using a Quadro 6000 + 2x Tesla c2075's with the 306.79 nvidia driver on Win7 64 with 3ds Max 2013.

Old 11 November 2012   #7
That hurt!

Old 11 November 2012   #8
Just installed pu6 and it didn't help at all.
Anybody else experiencing this problem?

Old 11 November 2012   #9
Though to be fair, it's not going to help much with iRay anyways

Old 11 November 2012   #10
I thought since they added support for Kepler they might have fixed the Quadro problem !

Old 11 November 2012   #11
Tried new drivers 307.45 and PU.6 the result was disastrous it stopped recognising the 4000 as a cuda enabled card ! Rolled back to previous version.
Better to say - cannot get memory statistics from device

Old 11 November 2012   #12
Originally Posted by alexnode: Tried new drivers 307.45 and PU.6 the result was disastrous it stopped recognising the 4000 as a cuda enabled card ! Rolled back to previous version.
Better to say - cannot get memory statistics from device

Hmm - that rings some bells. Is the WMI service running on your computer ?
AFAIK the video memory diagnostics functionality in Max uses WMI to interrogate the hardware ( at least that was the case some releases ago ).

So in a DOS shell command prompt, typing "sc query Winmgmt" should show the state "State: 4 RUNNING". If not you could try to start the service by entering "net start Winmgmt" and press enter. Than you should get "The Windows Management Instrumentation service was started successfully." and you could restart Max and retest again...
If this cures your problem you should set the service to autostart ( which should be the default anyways ) by typing "sc config Winmgmt start= Auto" ( note the space before "Auto", it is important ).
The shell should respond with "[SC] ChangeServiceConfig SUCCESS", and your WMI service should start automatically with the system. Of course you require administrator priviliges.

I doubt that this would be your problem, but nevertheless a thing worth checking ...

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

Old 11 November 2012   #13
Thanks for the idea unfortunately WMI is running and it is in automatic mode ...

One more bizarre thing is that sometimes it says IRAY 0.14, IRAY 0.15, 16 or 13 !

IRAY 0.14 71 MB error: cannot get memory statistics from device
IRAY 0.14 71 MB error: not enough memory on device 0, not using this device for rendering

Old 11 November 2012   #14
I recently had problems with some programs because of a mutated vowel (umlaut) in my Windows7 username. If i remember correctly iray was one of them. The affected programms couldnt handle the file paths including the mutated vowels. But since you are from UK... i guess you dont have this letters at all, dont you?

Old 11 November 2012   #15
Smile

Thanks Cooper4D but no umlaut here ... the good news is that I

Finaly Solved,
After testing the card on an older machine and made sure that the card is fine , I decided to go to safe mode uninstall almost everything from my workstation, including drivers.
I did the drivers with msconfig - rebooting in safe mode - go to properties then to uninstall driver and checked the delete driver.
I also uninstalled a houdini evaluation, autocad light and various small 3D helper programs like xnormal etc I don’t even remember what else I uninstalled from this machine… I left Zbrush, Unity and photoshop
After uninstalling everything still in minimal safe mode I deleted all folders and files that had Autodesk and Nvidia name on it. After that I used CCleaner and cleaned the registry of all the missing stuff.
Finally I installed 307.45 drivers and 3ds suite and it worked…
Thanks for all your help here!
I am not sure what was the actual problem, Since I did everything at once, It could be a faulty installation of the drivers or 3ds max or a conflict with another program like Houdini.

Thread Closed share thread