Max 2013 State sets problem

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2012   #1
Max 2013 State sets problem

I have a problem with state sets in that it does not save the render element info. It will record the change but if you refresh the element or save the file and reload it the change is gone.

Everything was working fine and then I had the smart idea of uninstalling some crap that I didn't use to make some room. I must have got rid of .Net so max would not even start so I uninstalled it and reinstalled and that it when I notice this problem. I also have tried uninstalling all autodesk stuff, deleting all autodesk folders and registry entries but to no avail. I have also moved my projects folder structure to a different location but I cannot see that making a difference.

It also has this problem with the blank scene on boot.

Old 11 November 2012   #2
Just a update. I have formated the hard drive, reinstalled the OS and max and I still have the problem. I am totally stumped now and have no idea what to do. I cannot understand how it can be working and then having a really stupid fault that basically makes it useless.
Does anyone else have a problem like this or is state sets or Ephere software just fundamentally flawed.

Old 11 November 2012   #3
Howdy Jon,

I'm not clear on if this issue happened do to removing some files from 3ds max and a possible bad reinstall or if its a bug in the software. Could you give me a few numbered steps to reproduce the issue so we can confirm and fix the issue if it is a bug?

ie:

1 Create a sphere
2. Add a Diffuse RE
3. Record State one and save your main file
4. etc etc

Thanks so much
Michael McCarhty

Old 11 November 2012   #4
G'Day Michael,
I am sure that if it was a real bug you would have heard of it already. It may just be my stupid machine.

Anyway it does not matter if you open a scene or have any objects in a scene. Lets say I start max and from the default scene at boot I open state sets and render settings and create a renders element. Does not matter which. I set the render element to be disabled by default. I then set record mode on the state set and enable the render element and then unset record mode on the state set. The changes are recorded - render property changes - render element 'blah blah' changed - enabled changed x. As long as you have the scene open it will work but if you save the scene then reopen the enabled changed x is gone hence it no longer works. Also while the scene is still open if you right click render element 'blah blah' changed and select refresh then enabled changed x will disapear also.
It only appears to be render elements that are affected and every other change is saved.

Old 11 November 2012   #5
Thanks for the info,

I will check this out and see if its reproducible. Could you let me know if you have the latest 2013 update. I think we are at PU 6 now.

Thanks
Michael

Old 11 November 2012   #6
Yes I have PU6.

Old 11 November 2012   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread