UVLayout error

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2012
UVLayout error

Hi guys,

Ive just done a model in max and i now want to do the Uvs but ive got an error coming up "12 odd faces". It Exports ok form 3Ds max no errors. What can these odd faces be and is they a quick way in max to find them i.e show loose verts or show five sided polys. When i turbo smooth all looks ok. Ive serched for over an hour and cant find anything but the model is quite dence in areas i.e the ear. The only thing i can think off is that its where i have more than 4 points connected to one vert... (cant remember the name).

There is a clean up option and this will then import the file but it doesnt show what its "cleaned" up

Any one got any tips or advice thank you.

11 November 2012
I've read this is because of non manifold edges!! How do I clean these up??

11 November 2012
Go back to Max and use the selection mode in graphite tools to look for n-gons and stray verts and such. At the bottom of the selection tab you'll find a tool for this.

11 November 2012
That's great, thank you I will have a look!! I never use the graphite tools so that's why I missed it.

Thanks again

11 November 2012
Xview is also useful for chasing down stray vert's etc.

11 November 2012
Non-manifold meshes are quite difficult to make in max as the editable poly object type prevents you doing a lot of bad things which are possible in other apps. But you might have something like two polys on top of each other. Xview should show those up.

11 November 2012
Thanks guys i font the errors with the standard max tools thanks. Some verts lying on top of each other from using the cut tool but they had quite welded together.

Dont wana set up another Thread so thought id just ask it in this one. Through the model into Headus all unwraped and looking good. Saved the model out again as OBJ and imported back to MAX the issue is i have no EDGES on the model now. The verts are there and i can select edges... i just cant see them. I played wit the import settings and converted pack to editable poly but couldnt fond the issue. Any one know what i need to select or do to see the edges again?? i bet ive missed some thing dumb.
For a work around i just saved the UVs from the model and loaded them onto the original models UV workspace. Would that be ok??

***EDIT***
Sorry it was something dump it rest the sceen and i didnt reselect "edged faces".... my bad!

11 November 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread