Corona Render.., it seems to be FAST!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #16
KeyCZ,

Fantastic renderer you have. Really really good. This is going to go FAR.

I started using Vray durings its alpha 11-12 years ago (something like that) and it was nowhere near this polished. I cant wait to start playing with Corona more this week.

Old 02 February 2013   #17
I notice it uses Intel Embree for the raytracer. So this means the speed increases will only really be felt on the latest line of Intel CPUs?

Also, is the sampler adaptive? And has anyone tested the SSS materials?

Looking forward to testing.....

Old 02 February 2013   #18
I've had a play around with this over the last day and it's really nice and solid. However, as fast as it appears to be when you hit render (which is very fast), waiting for it to eradicate noise to an acceptable level for a final image still takes just as long as V-ray IMO.

Obviously I have only just started using it and know very little about tweaking settings...etc. but I think a large portion of it's perceived speed is the ability to get something tangible but unrefined on screen very quickly.

Old 02 February 2013   #19
Originally Posted by AJ: I've had a play around with this over the last day and it's really nice and solid. However, as fast as it appears to be when you hit render (which is very fast), waiting for it to eradicate noise to an acceptable level for a final image still takes just as long as V-ray IMO.

Obviously I have only just started using it and know very little about tweaking settings...etc. but I think a large portion of it's perceived speed is the ability to get something tangible but unrefined on screen very quickly.

when you say 'waiting for it to eradicate the noise' have you only tested unbiased rendering?

I'm at a stage now where I'm very happy using Vray and it would take a big speed difference(I presume the quality is more or less the same) to make me jump the fence.

Old 02 February 2013   #20
Originally Posted by musashidan: when you say 'waiting for it to eradicate the noise' have you only tested unbiased rendering?
Yep, I'm talking about using the progressive path tracing 'straight out of the box'. I've yet to really delve into the other GI solutions.

Old 02 February 2013   #21
Originally Posted by AJ: Yep, I'm talking about using the progressive path tracing 'straight out of the box'. I've yet to really delve into the other GI solutions.

makes sense. Have you tested any old Vray scenes using the material conversion script?

Old 03 March 2013   #22
Hello,

4th public Alpha version of Corona has just been released along with a standalone benchmark tool. You can find it here:

http://corona-renderer.com/forum/

You have to be a registered user to access Alpha 4 build thread.

Thread is here:
http://corona-renderer.com/forum/in...opic,509.0.html

and benchmark tool is here:
http://corona-renderer.com/forum/in...opic,559.0.html

For benchmark tool, you do not need to be registered, nor do you need to have 3ds Max installed

Last edited by Rawalanche : 03 March 2013 at 05:52 PM.

Old 03 March 2013   #23
I did/do some test in that day and I find it very fast and very interesting for the future, also I test it on animation and Particles so:

- PFlow don't support yet

- animation not bad

- first look good for render element

Here some test:

Corona Alpha 3 for look the RenderPass with EXR

I used old scene (usually I use it for teasting Mental Ray) and the result is not bad

Corona Alpha 3 render time 31:10

Mental Ray on 3DS Max 2011 render time 26:32

Animation unbiased way with 30 second for frame and motion blur

youtube - http://youtu.be/h1W4pEbFeo8

vimeo - https://vimeo.com/61903800

Another test with MrScene

setting Corona Alpha

res: 1920x1080 render time: 55 minute
hardware: Intel Core I7-2600K @3,40 GHz - 16 GB Ram - Nvidia Quadro 2000 - OS Win7 64Bit

Also I test with 3.500.000 of polygon and Corona start without pause is very fast

Finally (on Alpha 3) I try to convert all scene from Max 2009 and render it with Corona (I use a few post-production with NukeX - I start the render in the nuight and when wake up I stop it).

I see some problem with convert scripts for Pro-Material of Mentla Ray (but it's not used in new version) and have some problem of aliasing on the windows.

This is all about my test on Alpha 3

Mat

VFX | CG Artist
available for freelance jobs
www.art2upz.com

RnD | Simulation Reel July 2014
3D Generalist Reel Winter 2012

Old 03 March 2013   #24
Corona Alpha 4

I download the official benchmark scene Corona Alpha 4 (you can download here - http://corona-renderer.com/forum/index.php/topic,559 - and don't need of 3DS Max because is stand alone version, open the zip and start the bat file)

Corona Renderer Alpha 4 benchmark scene
Living room 100 passes
Intel® Core™ i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz
Time: 0:6:5, Rays/s: 3,478,646

Last test I take a famous scene for V-Ray test on Italian Forum and I convert it for Corona Alpha test with 100 pass.

You can fine scene here - http://www.art2upz.com/__TEMP/Downl...a_Alpha _4.zip

And my test here

For now I stop here and I work on the scene for testing the animation.

My 2 cents

Matteo

VFX | CG Artist
www.art2upz.com

Old 03 March 2013   #25
Seeing the render time of mentalray vs corona, mr wins and is not grainy, so it appears that corona isn't that fast.

Last edited by boumay : 03 March 2013 at 11:15 AM.

Old 03 March 2013   #26
Matteo why is your internal resolution set to 4 ? the default of 2 normally works fine with out the performance hit.

The glass object, have you tried rendering it with bidir/VCM, it should work better for this scene ( caustics ). It's worth a try, its still in its infancy too.

cheers

AKA Javadevil
Duncan H

Last edited by Spacelord : 03 March 2013 at 12:09 PM.

Old 03 March 2013   #27
Originally Posted by Spacelord: Matteo why is your internal resolution set to 4 ? the default of 2 normally works fine with out the performance hit.

Because I try to put up the AA...

Originally Posted by Spacelord: The glass object, have you tried rendering it with bidir/VCM, it should work better for this scene ( caustics ). It's worth a try, its still in its infancy too.

Alpha 3 don't have this mode, now I test on animation, then I can try the caustic

Matteo

VFX | CG Artist
www.art2upz.com

Old 03 March 2013   #28
animation test 1 minute per frame with motion blur, maybe I need about 3-4 for frame...

http://youtu.be/rHdKzD_xh6k

Matteo

VFX | CG Artist
www.art2upz.com

Old 03 March 2013   #29

Self illumination test with 1.5M poly scene. 30 mins for this frame but I could have gotten away with 20. I added a slight degrain in post which cleaned it up nicely. In all fairness I have not tried this in MR.

Last edited by em3 : 03 March 2013 at 03:27 PM. Reason: *scene is only 1.5M poly, not 3.5 - sorry!

Old 03 March 2013   #30
Originally Posted by em3:

Self illumination test with 3.5M poly scene. 30 mins for this frame but I could have gotten away with 20. I added a slight degrain in post which cleaned it up nicely. In all fairness I have not tried this in MR.

Very cool, do you have that in high-res?

Thread Closed share thread